Sherefe Quartet in Ft. Collins Sat. Oct. 9th

1 view

James Hoskins

Sep 25, 2021, 5:19:10 PM9/25/21
to Sherefe
The Sherefe Quartet of Jesse, James, Julie, and Brett will be closing out this season's Off the Hook Arts Concert Series in Ft. Collins the afternoon of Oct. 9th!
Doors 2 pm, concert 2:30 - 5:00 pm

This will be the first multi-genre show of ours in quite a while - playing selections of Turkish, Arabic, Greek, and Bulgarian music.

It is an outdoor venue at a private residence, with the band on a balcony, and some room for dancing (Belly, Free form, and Folk) provided - though not a “Dance Floor” per se.

Julie Lancaster and James Hoskins will be conducting a live/in person workshop for instrumentalists, vocalists, and drummers 11:00 am -12:30 pm the same day (Oct. 9) ~ a 10 min. drive from the concert venue.
If you have an interest in checking out how we learn the music that we play, please follow the link (at the bottom left of the page found at the OTHA link below) to the “Balkan Beats Workshop" signup!

Concert Info at:

It's at a private home and audience members will receive the concert address when they purchase a ticket
(Which are:  $20 for 1, $36 for 2, and $10 for students)

The workshop info:

Julie and James will lead a joint ensemble workshop, teaching 2 songs, one in an odd meter, and one in a 4/4.
Both are common dance rhythms in Greece, Turkey, and the Balkans.

The workshop will teach these rhythms by ear, in the time-honored traditional method of the region, but sheet music will be available for those who prefer it.
Rhythm, melody, harmony, and chordal accompaniment will be introduced, as they all play a part in creating a vibrant, danceable, and expressive performance. Sherefe will then perform these learned tunes in our concert directly following, in order to allow the participants the opportunity to see the material realized by an experienced ensemble.

Enjoy, and see you there!