Two Eastern European Music Events this Weekend!

James Hoskins

May 15, 2024, 5:22:13 PMMay 15
to Sherefe

Dear Friends -

This weekend brings back-to-back events by Planina and Barbelfish.They're both Eastern European music events but quite different in flavor. Being excited about all the music these bands perform, we sincerely ask you to consider attending both. If you can’t, I hope the following will help you determine which one is a better fit for your weekend!

May 17 - BIFD Hosts Planina for an Evening of Folk Dancing to Live Music

ab79927d-a2c3-e3c2-e349-6cd7ca5c5beb.jpg
Friday, May 17
7:30-11:00 pm
Sodal Hall @ The Avalon
6185 Arapahoe Rd, Boulder, CO 80303
 (map
$5 BIFD members/ $10 non-members
Event website

This Friday, Planina presents dance music at Boulder International Folk Dancers’ (BIFD’s) weekly recreational folk dance event. We will sing and play two sets of mostly Balkan dances, plus a few couple dances (think waltz, swing, polka). BIFD will fill in with recorded music for other dances during the breaks.

The tunes are from Bulgaria, Croatia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Turkey, and Jewish and Rom traditions. They include choral arrangements as well as songs accompanied by instruments played by Planina members: Valerie Brown (tapan, doumbek, tambourine), Kell Coulter(doumbek, zills, tambourine), Laima Haley (violin), Julie Lancaster (accordion and tambura), Thorn Roby (tambura), Leslie Root (standup bass), Andrew Wickins (guitar). The group will be joined by guest tambura player Milyo Kepchelev

If you don’t think of yourself as a dancer, there is plenty of room in Sodal Hall to sit and watch. But many of the dances are easy enough to follow behind and learn on the spot, so we hope we’ll inspire you to get up and boogie.

May 18 - Barbelfish in Concert at Nevei Kodesh

f86125a7-cdaa-cbca-24e4-0720f4b71baa.jpg
Saturday, May 18
7:30 pm
Nevei Kodesh
1925 Glenwood Dr, Boulder, CO 80304
 (map)
$20 general/ $15 students or children
Buy your tickets now,
 click here.

Come hear Barbelfish in concert this Saturday in the warm acoustics of Nevei Kodesh in Boulder, part of Sheldon Sands' world music series.

Music from Armenia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, and some Rom (Gypsy) and Jewish traditions, plus one intriguing composition by Steve Mullins that draws from Balkan traditions and flamenco.

What’s special about Barbelfish’s music? Passion-filled repertoire, virtuosity on a variety of traditional instruments, soaring vocal harmonies, driving rhythms. And many strings. At our rehearsal last night, we calculated some 63 strings in the room. Here’s what past audience members have said:
*  You always amaze us with both your playing and your playfulness!
*  Beautiful, haunting quality of the music.
*  What glorious music – and amazing vocals.

James Hoskins (gudulka, cello, bouzouki, vocals), Julie Lancaster(accordion, tambura, vocals), Jesse Manno (tapan, doumbek, vocals), Steve Mullins (tambura, guitar, bouzouki, mandolin), Amy Self (clarinet, kaval, guitar, vocals), Loren Uecker (vocals, riqq).

It is a rare and particular pleasure for Barbelfish, which usually plays for dancing, to appear in a concert setting. But don't worry – many of the tunes selected for this evening are dance tunes, and there will be room in the back of the hall for those who choose to dance.

Questions? Contact Sheldon, she...@sheldonsands.com.

Thanks, and hopefully see you there! - James

Photo: Eric Weber