Litter Committee

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 3, 2022, 8:53:36 AM1/3/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

Happy New Year!

How is everyone? The Litter Committee hasn’t met since the before the pandemic. And even before that, the meetings were short with just brief updates on the Clean Sweep and Adopt-a-Street programs. And then we lost Ron, a long-time member. Last year I hardly gave away any Clean Sweep patches. There were some Scout groups that said they were going to come in and pick them up, but never did.  Meanwhile, a loose group called Shelton Clean Up Project formed on Facebook and has had several big cleanups.

I’d like to get the Committee going again with some new initiatives and also some clean-ups that are organized by the Committee. At this time, I’m asking for input from each of you regarding what you’d like to see the Committee doing in 2022. Also, how do you feel about meetings? Obviously we are in a huge Omicron surge at the moment, but this will pass. Soon, I hope. Would you prefer to have meetings at City Hall (City Hall just went back to closing at 5:30, so that might be possible to have meetings at 7 pm), or online meetings via Zoom? Does 7 pm still work best for everyone?

Also, importantly, if anyone in this group no longer wants to be a member of the Litter Committee, please let us know. Otherwise it can look like we have more members than we actually do.  Before replacing a members, I’m required to have a resignation in writing from a previous member that is being replaced.

Hopefully we can get this ball rolling again! Maybe in February?

Teresa Gallagher

Natural Resources Manager

City of Shelton

54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484

203-924-1555 x1315

David Edgeworth

Jan 3, 2022, 12:28:58 PM1/3/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
I'm in, sorry for the absence, I liked the in-person meetings, 7 pm is good.  What night?

Thanks David Edgeworth
NEW #
NEW ADDRESS
20 Maple Ave Shelton

David Edgeworth

Jan 3, 2022, 12:30:32 PM1/3/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Let's identify the Top 10 eye sores for litter and address those with clean-ups and then preventative measures

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 3, 2022, 12:35:06 PM1/3/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

Great idea!  Our meetings have been on the fourth Weds of each month, skipping summer months and the Christmas holidays.

Jan 4, 2022, 12:29:43 PM1/4/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Hope you had a great holiday.  Do we have a budget for signage or do we have to fund raise?

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 4, 2022, 1:05:21 PM1/4/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

We have a budget. For signage, bear in mind that we’ve been told those laminated plastic signs we used to post around the City are illegal.

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 4, 2022, 1:13:43 PM1/4/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

By the way, we only had three sign-ups for Clean Sweep last year. Of course it was during pandemic, but sign-ups had been decreasing every year.

David Edgeworth

Jan 4, 2022, 2:55:16 PM1/4/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking some kind of signs in places we've chosen as hot spots and cleaned, that might reduce or prevent litter in those areas
And yes more signs for Shelton Clean-sweep are always good

Joe Welsh

Jan 4, 2022, 8:13:12 PM1/4/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Happy New Year.  I am flexible regarding the meeting schedule.  It would be great to identify a top 10 list to clean up and then see what can be put in place to keep them that way.  I have been trying to attend a Shelton Cleanup Project event but just have not been able to.  They are really doing a great job.

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 5, 2022, 10:42:35 AM1/5/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

You’re thinking of “do not litter” type signs? Those can be tricky because they can actually encourage littering depending on how they are done. It’s like saying “don’t touch that red button” and then people want to touch the red button.  Everyone already knows littering is wrong and illegal, some people just don’t care.

Sheryl Dutkanicz

Jan 6, 2022, 8:40:21 AM1/6/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Hi Teresa and Anti-Litter Comm, I would like to remain on the committee and agree with Dave regarding 'Top 10'!  My concern is I work Wednesday evenings and will be unable to make the mtg times.  This leaves me in a conundrum.  Would it be possible to stay active via reading the minutes?  I know all committees need input at their mtgs, so if this is not the best fit for the Group let me know.  Meantime, I will keep working to de-lite our World :)  I also have a neighbor who is active in picking up litter in our neighborhood and the trails, I will see if he is interested in being on the committee (if we need members).  I will wait to hear from you before I mention anything to him.
-Sheri

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 8:53 AM Teresa Gallagher <conser...@cityofshelton.org> wrote:

Sheri Maybeck-Dutkanicz, PTA, CST
LSVT Clinician
Rehabilitation Associates, Inc.
City of Shelton Conservation Commissioner

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 6, 2022, 8:43:06 AM1/6/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

Nothing says we have to meet on Wednesdays. It’s harder to find an available room at City Hall on a Tuesday or Thursday. Mondays can be easier.

Jan 7, 2022, 11:41:04 AM1/7/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Hi Teresa,
Unfortunately, My 2 work nights are Mondays and Wednesdays...until 7:30.  I think at this time I will resign my position.  This will open a space for a member who can be more active.   I will submit my letter to you in writing.  This will be a good time to do so, considering the break we've had with meetings and agenda due to COVID.
I enjoyed my time on the committee and will definitely keep an eye out for volunteer events in the future.
Sincerely-
Sheri

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 10, 2022, 8:40:24 AM1/10/22