How not to pick up litter...

Teresa Gallagher

Jul 8, 2020, 3:50:37 PM7/8/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

How is everyone doing? I was driving down Shelton Ave this morning and a Parks & Rec crew were pulled over across the street from the dog park. One guy was on the mower and the other guy…. wait for it …was picking up litter and chucking it as far as he could into the woods. Towards the trails. In our open space. Where we hold our periodic litter clean-ups.

Yup. I kid you not.

I pulled over and talked to the guy and he said he would go back and pick up what he threw in there, but really. That got me wondering how common this is. When we find bottles and litter down the hill in the woods at Riverview Park, is that the Parks & Rec crews? What about the ballfields? Like East Village ballfield where the Scouts always haul out so much litter. What is some of that is actually from Parks & Rec?

Teresa Gallagher

Natural Resources Manager

City of Shelton

54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484

203-924-1555 x1315

Joseph Welsh

Jul 8, 2020, 4:56:31 PM7/8/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Wow and sad.  Let the volunteers pick it up!! :(

If this is just an improperly trained employee hopefully they can be showed the proper litter cleanup procedure which does not mean chuck it in the woods.

I think in these Covid-19 times the leadership involved should look for opportunities to increase the way staff is utilized if they have not already. If they can help rid our streets, parks, schools, and other areas by picking up litter on a more routine basis in addition to the huge clean sweep and adopt a street effort this would advance the objective of our committee tremendously.

Sheryl Dutkanicz

Jul 8, 2020, 6:17:43 PM7/8/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
JEEZ!!!  If you hadn't seen it, I wouldn't of  believe it...Parks and Rec...go figure!  Makes a little sense about other park areas, It's easier to toss the trash out of the mowers way vs following with a garbage bag...and yet they would have to pick it up eventually!   Good job Teresa, thank you :)

Sheri Maybeck-Dutkanicz, PTA, CST
LSVT Clinician
Rehabilitation Associates, Inc.
City of Shelton Conservation Commissioner