February agenda

1 view

Gil

Feb 23, 2020, 8:49:54 AM2/23/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, please see attached document for the February meeting, If you
would like to add anything, please let me know.

Thank you, Gil

February 2020 Agenda.odt

Lorraine Kovac

Feb 23, 2020, 9:51:17 AM2/23/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Thank you

Teresa Gallagher

Feb 24, 2020, 8:26:17 AM2/24/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
I think we need to work on moving forward rather than just resting with Adopt-a-Street and Clean Sweep. It seems like every meeting is just "any updates?" and that's it and we go home. For example, we need an outreach program for our existing Adopt-a-Street participants. Someone to contact each one and have a chat. And maybe it's time to revisit the DOT and their Adopt-a-Highway program. We met with them years ago and their program was so cumbersome the idea was abandoned, but with all their cutbacks maybe they'll be more open to working with us. Bridgeport Ave is a mess. Ingrid used to call the DOT and that helped. How about talking with local business owners where there is a problem? Like ShopRite. Their store flyers are always in the trees near the parking lot. And we could use more new members on the committee with energy and enthusiasm. There's more that could be done. I'm tapped out, though. I can handle the patches and the website, getting the bags and gloves and vests, basic social media posts, and fielding Adopt-a-Street inquiries and registrations. So maybe something on the agenda for "Other efforts." Or maybe just pick one or two items to focus on this year and add the chosen items to the agenda each month. Otherwise, there are just "comments by members" when we're done with Clean Sweep and Adopt-a-Street.

Ronald Pilkowicz

Feb 24, 2020, 12:04:07 PM2/24/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Great ideas!  Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the meeting this week, I am teaching New Employee Training and we take them all to dinner afterwards. Tuesday and Wed.
With this newer job, I honestly only have weekends to make calls etc. but I'm willing to pitch in when I can! I should be at the March meeting so I'm happy to sign up for anything.

Thanks all,
Ron

Sent from Outlook

Feb 25, 2020, 5:22:57 AM2/25/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to share this proposed bill, SB 99 an act concerning the use and distribution of polystyrene products, which may help reduce the volume of styrofoam that can be found on just about every roadway. https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=SB00099&which_year=2020
The Environmental committee had a public hearing on it last week and there was some good testimony in support of the bill that can be viewed when clicking the link.

Also the phone book folks were at it again, several were tossed around my neighborhood and surrounding streets this past weekend.

Lastly I will be out of town this Wednesday so I will see you at the March meeting.

Sent from my iPhone

Teresa Gallagher

Feb 25, 2020, 8:41:08 AM2/25/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

I can’t believe Styrofoam is still legal.

Sheryl Dutkanicz

Feb 25, 2020, 6:05:31 PM2/25/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Sorry for the late response, I had all intentions on the meeting however I now will not be able to attend due to Ash Wednesday service.  I agree with Teresa's recommendations on follow through with Telephone calls, etc.  We can discuss how to divy up the tasks in the March mtg.  New members would be great!  I personally have asked people who have expressed interest, without success that they actually attend a mtg :(
Thank you Joe for sending the article!!  Sorry to leave the committee short on a night 2 other members will be out of town.

-Sheri

--
Sheri Maybeck-Dutkanicz, PTA, CST
LSVT Clinician

Gil

Feb 27, 2020, 7:48:04 AM2/27/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

Hi all, I checked into this link and found the testimony from all of these people who support this bill to be very interesting to say the least. I did find an interesting bit from one that I copied:

"Each day, we throw away tons of single use cups, containers, and other plastics. Among the most environmentally harmful of these are products made from polystyrene foam. According to a 2015study for CT DEEP, polystyrene accounted for nearly 15,000 tons of solid waste in Connecticut."

That's a lot of waste.

Thanks Joe for sharing this.

On 2/25/2020 5:22 AM, Joseph Welsh wrote:
 Just wanted to share this proposed bill, SB 99 an act concerning the use and distribution of polystyrene products, which may help reduce the volume of styrofoam that can be found on just about every roadway. https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=SB00099&which_year=2020

Ronald Pilkowicz

Mar 6, 2020, 10:04:35 AM3/6/20
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Hello team,
Just an FYI in advance.
I will be heading to the airport (HOPEFULLY) on my way to Colorado skiing on our next meeting night.
If the Virus messes up our plans, I'll be at the meeting.

Thanks all,
Ron

Sent from Outlook