DRAFT letter for Bottle bill

Teresa Gallagher

Mar 15, 2021, 9:58:17 AM3/15/21
to Litter Google Group

I started a letter to the Environmental Committee regarding the bottle bill....

Testimony to the CGA Environment Committee

S.B. 1037: An Act Concerning Solid Waste Management

March 18, 2021

Dear Environment Committee Members,

The Shelton Litter Committee supports an expansion of the bottle deposit fee onto currently exempt containers (such as so-called “nippers”) as well as an increase in the fee to adjust for inflation.

We have been battling litter in Shelton for over ten years by encouraging hundreds of local volunteers to clean up their streets and parks through our “Clean Sweep” and “Adopt-a-Street” programs. What we have heard from these volunteers, over and over again, is that non-deposit beverage containers make up a large proportion of the litter items, especially so-called ‘nippers.’

We have found that containers with a deposit are sought out and collected from our public areas. So even if an empty Pepsi bottle is tossed from a car window, it still has value and there is a good chancel it will be ‘harvested’ for the deposit.  The late Richard Belden, our state representative, famously collected bottles along the street for their deposit, which he donated to charity.  As a result, when volunteers clean up the streets in their neighborhood, there is less litter to pick up.

Sheryl Dutkanicz

Mar 16, 2021, 8:20:09 AM3/16/21
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Hi Teresa, thank you for putting together the letter.  Just to be sure, are we to forward this letter with our name, or write our own?  Hoping strongly this Bill is passed!

Sheri Maybeck-Dutkanicz, PTA, CST
LSVT Clinician
Rehabilitation Associates, Inc.
City of Shelton Conservation Commissioner

Teresa Gallagher

Mar 16, 2021, 10:10:29 AM3/16/21
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

This is a draft from the committee if everyone agrees (normally the chairman signs it).  If I don't get any direction from the committee, it will not be sent.  Not everyone likes the deposits because then you have to return the bottles to get back that deposit, rather than just chuck the bottles in the recycling.  But if you are someone who picks a lot of these bottles and cans off the side of the road every year, you might have a different view.  Each of you can also send individual comments. These are due by noon on Thursday.

Mar 16, 2021, 12:39:52 PM3/16/21
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Gil is all for it

Sent from my iPhone

Gil Pastore

Mar 16, 2021, 12:52:59 PM3/16/21
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
going to embellish it bit before sending. Although we should have it read into the minutes of their meeting to be sure someone actually reads it.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 16, 2021, at 12:40 PM, Gil Pastore <g...@gplaser.biz> wrote:

Gil is all for it

David Edgeworth

Mar 16, 2021, 12:57:15 PM3/16/21
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Teresa, this is a great idea, and hopefully it deter litter and /or encourage recovery, recycling of these small and numerous containers

David Edgeworth

Sheryl Dutkanicz

Mar 16, 2021, 8:11:05 PM3/16/21
to shelto...@googlegroups.com