Proposed CT balloon release ban

1 view

Teresa Gallagher

Mar 17, 2022, 8:29:15 AM3/17/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

Connecticut currently prohibits the intentional release of more than ten helium balloons. A new bill before the house, HB05294 “An Act Concerning the Intentional Release of Certain Balloons” would remove that 10-balloon exemption.  I have found hundreds of balloons while deep in the woods – it’s litter, plain and simple. The supposed “biodegradable” latex is nonsense, I’ve tested it myself. Latex balloons takes years to biodegrade, and any ribbon attached takes much longer. And of course latex balloons are eaten by wildlife in the ocean, mistaken for jellyfish and other forms of food.  Consider contacting our state reps to support this bill.

https://legiscan.com/CT/drafts/HB05294/2022

Teresa Gallagher

Natural Resources Manager

City of Shelton

54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484

203-924-1555 x1315

Sheryl Dutkanicz

Mar 20, 2022, 5:29:14 PM3/20/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Teresa for your diligence!  I responded to the link!

Sheri Maybeck-Dutkanicz, PTA, CST
LSVT Clinician
Rehabilitation Associates, Inc.
City of Shelton Conservation Commissioner