Nipper Funds Usage in CT

Teresa Gallagher

Nov 30, 2023, 9:01:58 AM11/30/23
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
There was an article in the paper version of the CT Post on Nov. 22 titled, “$9M flows to towns to clean up ‘nips’”. Front page at the top. Couldn’t find it online, but I don’t have a CTPost subscription. The article says that the state’s Council on Environmental Quality is in the process of gathering info from towns for an upcoming report to the General Assembly. So far, 120 surveys have been returned. The majority of towns are sitting on the funds, waiting for a better definition of what they can use it for. I spent a fair amount of time struggling to get a better description from the State as to how we could spend the money, but no agency seems to have been put in charge of that. All we could go by was the wording in the law, which is vague. South Windsor, Ellington and Ridgefield are using the funding to help pay for recycling coordinators. “Newtown, Shelton and a half-dozen other towns are using the money for litter collection and cleanups with local non-profits.”  Glastonbury and Killingworth are supporting food scrap recycling programs. Bridgeport, East Haven, Farmington, Glastonbury, Hampton, Morris, Simsbury, Southington, and Watertown are using the money to buy or lease street sweepers.

Sounds like Shelton is doing pretty well with the funds, assuming there is adequate recordkeeping to prove the money was actually used for additional litter cleanup. Using the money to pick up litter seems like the most direct and relevant use of the funding.

Teresa Gallagher
Natural Resources Manager
City of Shelton
54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484

Matt McGee

Nov 30, 2023, 10:49:19 AM11/30/23
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
The Shelton Clean-Up Project is a 501c3 non-profit that hasn't received any funding. Which nonprofits? Is there a form where we could request, or anyone with which we could begin a conversation? What is the process?

Matt McGee

Teresa Gallagher

Nov 30, 2023, 11:27:57 AM11/30/23
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

That’s something some other towns have done. The wording was a little confusing in their article. Doesn’t mean Shelton couldn’t do it in the future. But I think the Mayor has already earmarked the funds towards paying some part time staff to work extra days to pick up litter.