"Nips" tax in Shelton

Teresa Gallagher

Apr 25, 2022, 9:23:47 AM4/25/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

Holy Cow. According to an article in the Patch (link below), between October 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022, the number of nips sold in Shelton was 332,506.

Seriously. 332,506 nipper bottles sold in six months. Just in Shelton.  About 1800 per day. I feel like I need to fact check that, it’s so ridiculous.

There is a 5 cent tax on each ($16,625 in Shelton) and that money is supposed to go to Shelton to be used for efforts to address litter: “Suggestions include hiring a recycling coordinator, installing storm drain filters designed to block solid waste and beverage container debris, buying a mechanical street sweeper, vacuum or broom that removes litter, and the like.”   How do you think that money should be spent? The first thing that came to my mind was just hiring a company to clean certain roads that are too dangerous to adopt, like Mill Street and the eastern half of Nells Rock Road.

https://patch.com/connecticut/shelton/sales-nips-top-560k-shelton-derby-two-cities-receive-28k?utm_source=share-mobile&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=share

Teresa Gallagher

Natural Resources Manager

City of Shelton

54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484

203-924-1555 x1315

Gil Pastore

Apr 25, 2022, 12:40:58 PM4/25/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Holy moly. That’s all I’ve got to say.

Sent from my iPhone

Gil Pastore

Apr 25, 2022, 12:42:11 PM4/25/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
We have meeting this Wednesday night, so we can discuss it then.

Teresa Gallagher

Apr 25, 2022, 12:59:26 PM4/25/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

I’ve learned more since my first email. The law is set up so that the alcohol wholesalers send a check to each municipality each month, with the first checks due April 1, 2022. The money never goes to the state, which is interesting, although the wholesaler is required to send a report to the state.  I’ve alerted our Accounting Department, and touched base with the mayor, who said he’d like to use the money to clean up some streets, which is what my first thought had been. He wants to use city crews, which makes sense, although I don’t know whether the state would allow that to count or how we would calculate the dollars spent on that effort. I’ve emailed the state liquor control board some questions.

Apr 26, 2022, 1:43:27 AM4/26/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Wow.  Great news.  See you Wednesday.

Teresa Gallagher

Apr 26, 2022, 8:25:52 AM4/26/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com

I obtained a spreadsheet showing all the nippers purchased by town. 3,000,000 nippers are sold in New Haven each year.

Gil Pastore

Apr 26, 2022, 11:18:14 AM4/26/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
Just wondering,  the price for each nip bottle?

Sent from my iPhone

David Edgeworth

Apr 26, 2022, 12:07:29 PM4/26/22
to shelto...@googlegroups.com
WHAT?? , well if tue and money becomes available, I like the storm drain idea