Birchbank Tree Planting

Teresa Gallagher

Aug 31, 2021, 2:19:36 PM8/31/21
to Google Group (sheltoncc@googlegroups.com)

At the last meeting, this Commission directed the homeowner at 72 Little Fox Run to plant 1” diameter oak or hickory trees to replace the ones that he cut in the open space. The homeowner has been having trouble finding oaks or hickories. He’s tried seven different places. He’s being told it’s mostly due to the season, and that they expect to have oaks and hickories next spring, but also there are shortages due to covid.  They do have red maples and pine in stock. The homeowner is looking for guidance.  I believe it’s in the public interest to plant pine trees there near the trail. It would make the trail more enjoyable for hikers. By the way, the area was not clear cut, so there are still trees, just not as many as before. Some of the trees cut were hickory and others were black birch. Pine would add variety to the location.

Teresa Gallagher

Natural Resources Manager

City of Shelton

54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484

203-924-1555 x1315

thomas harbinson

Aug 31, 2021, 4:12:00 PM8/31/21
to Unknown
I recall Jim's input to replace with a hickory was more to replace the deleted nut food supply, and while the buffer from residential for the Birchbank trail is of value, we want something that will be able to compete in its early life-start given the understory of limited sunlight.

Is this a resource for the homeowner to reach out to nurseries?

Tom Harbinson
Tel: 203SirTomH

Teresa Gallagher

Sep 1, 2021, 8:30:03 AM9/1/21
to shel...@googlegroups.com

Many of the trees were black birch, so no nuts. Pines provide critical shelter in the winter. And pinecones have seeds, a source of food. Planting pines would increase the biodiversity in this area. There are already a lot of hickories on that ridge.