Indian Well Overlooks

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 12, 2023, 10:01:38 AM1/12/23
to Google Group (sheltoncc@googlegroups.com)

With the latest property addition to the “Indian Well Overlook” properties, and the potential for more of a local trail system in there now, I suggest it is time to give that large chunk of open space a better name. “Indian Well Overlook” was great for marketing a DEEP grant application. But moving forward, I don’t that name works for local use. There is no actual overlook, as in a vista with a view of the river. And I don’t know how many people care that parts of it are across the highway from Indian Well. You’re on the river bank, but can never see the river and you never get to the top or bottom of it. Just one big wooded slope heading up from the river. It never levels out really.

Anyone have ideas? I couldn’t find any historical references. So far, the best I’ve come up with is the name of the little subdivision that was carved into the slope next to the open space: Housatonic Rise.  That name ties the land to the Housatonic River and somewhat poetically suggests the type of terrain involved (hiking up and up).

Teresa Gallagher

Natural Resources Manager

City of Shelton

54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484

203-924-1555 x1315

thomas harbinson

Jan 12, 2023, 7:29:19 PM1/12/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com
I looked at the historical Huntington map that you all have probably seen over the years.  Nothing referenced in that area.  Naming it after the nearby development's road name is funny to me, though I think it is an option, given that there isn't actually an "overlook" on these parcels acquired.  This process reminds me of naming "Old Dairy" Estates - where there is no longer a Dairy, or "Hidden Meadow" - when the meadow becomes a building lot.

Is there a more applicable geological reference?  It isn't the top of the "ridge", and it isn't a "saddle" between two peaks.  It isn't a drumlin, but must have had glacial impacts on its creation.  I wonder if there could be something that offers an educational opportunity.  In the UK, they refer to "hill climbing" and I think there is a definition of what a "hill" is.
Tom Harbinson
Tel: 203SirTomH

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 13, 2023, 8:33:55 AM1/13/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com

Right, I had spent some time looking at synonyms for hill, slope, river bank, bluff, etc. and couldn’t find anything I liked. The marketers for that Housatonic Rise subdivision did a good job coming up with that name.

I agree that it’s not ideal to have the same name as the subdivision, which is why I’m asking for ideas. On the other hand, we do have “Tahmore Preserve” off the end of Tahmore Place (in that case, “Tahmore” was the name in some old Victorian-era Indian romance story, which is in keeping with the Indian Princess story at the falls) , and the “Huntington Woods” open space, just a subdivision name, but apt. Sometimes it works. For most Shelton residents, I don’t think they are very aware of there being a Housatonic Rise subdivision or road. It’s not like there’s some big sign out in front that says Housatonic Rise.  Just a little street sign that people ignore.

Jan 13, 2023, 8:43:44 AM1/13/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com
A couple of suggestions: Housatonic Heights

Housatonic Hillside Preserve

Sent from my iPhone

Teresa G

Jan 15, 2023, 9:56:45 AM1/15/23
to Shelton Conservation Commission
Another option: Housatonic Woods. Like Huntington Woods, only different.

By the way, sorry about my mic not working at the last minute. Turned out the webcam was broken. Have a new one installed and it's working fine now.

Wilson, Thomas

Jan 15, 2023, 10:17:13 AM1/15/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com
Am I correct that there are quite a few Poplar trees in that area.  Poplar Preserve ?

Jan 16, 2023, 11:52:07 AM1/16/23
to Shelton Conservation Commission
Poplar, as in tulip poplars? There might be, I don't recall. Tulip trees are pretty common in Shelton.

Wilson, Thomas

Jan 16, 2023, 12:15:36 PM1/16/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com

Yes-   I Was relying on my Laura my wife’s  tree knowledge.

Thomas E. Wilson

Wilson Agency

A Division of Starkweather & Shepley Insurance

Vice President

M: 203-258-7255

twi...@starshep.com   www.starshep.com

thomas harbinson

Jan 16, 2023, 1:25:45 PM1/16/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com
What Tom may be thinking of, is that in that region (actually on the other side of Rte110, above Birchbank) is a "Connecticut Notable Tree" of Tulip.  Last measured over 20yrs ago.

You can search by town.

Interesting what I thought was the "Constitution Oak" at Riverview Park with the plaque, was actually a descendent of a "1902 Pin Oak".

Tom Harbinson
Tel: 203SirTomH

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 17, 2023, 8:26:11 AM1/17/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com

Local common names of the plants are always interesting. In northern Wisconsin growing up the forests were full of  Bigtooth Aspen (a type of poplar), but everyone called them Popples.   Tuliptree is also called Yellow Poplar, Tulip Magnolia, and Whitewood in some areas. (It’s not related to the poplars, that’s just one of the common names).  Black Gum in Connecticut is called Black Tupelo in other areas. I always liked the Tupelo name better because of the Van Morrison song Tupelo Honey (what kind of gross name is Black Gum anyway?) so I think of it as that.

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 17, 2023, 8:28:18 AM1/17/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com

<<Interesting what I thought was the "Constitution Oak" at Riverview Park with the plaque, was actually a descendent of a "1902 Pin Oak".>>

What? It had a plaque saying it was a Constitution Oak. I seem to remember it looking like a white oak, but that could be my mind playing tricks.

thomas harbinson

Jan 17, 2023, 8:56:11 AM1/17/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com
How about this - When the City acquired the Shelton Lakes Open Space from Bridgeport Hydraulic Company, we organized a contest from the first class at the new Intermediate School to name the so descriptive Reservoir #1, #2 and #3 (which became Silent Waters, Pine Lake and Hope Lake).  It became an expansive process, educational, brought in some history, students were in teams and had to make a presentation.  Silent Waters was due to the dam that gave way and silently rushed toward downtown, pine lake for the pine grove that BHC maintained for water quality and forest management, and Hope Lake for the new hope among the first wave of students at the new school.

So.... if we made an open suggestion "contest", stirred excitement and awareness among the community over the land preservation efforts that got us where we are today - we could really have something beyond what a limited set of conservation commissioners might come up with.

Involving the public could be a fun thing - similar to how some state DOT's annually have a "name a snowplow" contest.

Tom Harbinson
Tel: 203SirTomH

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 17, 2023, 9:47:36 AM1/17/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com

“Woodsy McOpenspace”?

thomas harbinson

Jan 17, 2023, 11:16:51 AM1/17/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com
I'm taking you off the judges panel Teresa!
Tom Harbinson
Tel: 203SirTomH

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 17, 2023, 12:17:41 PM1/17/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com

There’s a well-known icy spot on Mill Street I call Icy McIcepatch.

thomas harbinson

Jan 17, 2023, 1:00:57 PM1/17/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com
I can see why we would not want any naming competition to McBoatface us.  If you don't know what that is, or why the McOpenSpace or McIcepatch words reference it - learn more on wikipedia as to what inspired it, or list of McFace spoofs in other contests.

In the end, these contests spur public awareness, which is good.

Tom Harbinson
Tel: 203SirTomH

Sheryl Dutkanicz

Jan 19, 2023, 9:36:05 AM1/19/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com
All very interesting trivia!  I'm not very good with naming things (maybe hens and pets)...landmarks, not so much.   However, 'Housatonic Rise' does kind of explain the terrain / location.

--
Sheri Maybeck-Dutkanicz, PTA, CST
LSVT Clinician

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 19, 2023, 11:01:00 AM1/19/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com

<< However, 'Housatonic Rise' does kind of explain the terrain / location.>>

Yes, perfectly. If not for the name inspired from the nearby subdivision, I think it would be the best name hands down. And the word “rise” sounds happy, like a sunrise.  Anything referencing a hill or hillside immediately makes me picture myself out of breath from trudging up it. The Housatonic Heights suggestion would be OK since this time of year you do feel like you’re up over the river, and it’s behind Sinsabaugh Heights. It does sound a little like a condo development, though. I still think Housatonic Woods would be OK.

Sheryl Dutkanicz

Jan 19, 2023, 11:53:17 AM1/19/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com
Agree…I like ‘woods’ as well!