GIS Trails Overview Map

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 25, 2023, 2:47:36 PM1/25/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com

I’ve prepared a 24x36” overview map of the trails in Shelton. Red boxes outline the extent to each of the official City of Shelton trail maps, with map numbers corresponding to the map packets I have at City Hall and the Community Center. It’s meant to be mounted to foamboard for use at trail events and such. But before I get it mounted, I’d really like to be able to add another trail map for the Indian Well Overlook properties and a new trail that is likely to be built there.  I’ve put the naming question before the Trails Committee and the Trails Facebook Group, and I while can’t say any name has universal support, “Housatonic Hillside” is running well ahead of all the other names, with the new trail being called “Hillside Trail” (the route is definitely running along a hillside). A bit of a mouthful, but I suspect it will be shortened to “Housey Hillside” when people are talking about it (like Shelton Lakes Recreation Path Vs. Rec Path).

Bill brought up the idea of calling it a preserve, and I think that would actually be a good idea for a number of our properties. “Preserve” connotes wildlife habitat and conservation, while “open space” has some people thinking it’s just some vacant woods out back. Perhaps if Boehm Pond Open Space was instead Boehm Pond Preserve, people might think twice about ripping out a beaver dam. There’s also French’s Hill, the Gristmill Trail Open Space, and others.

Here’s the GIS map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwvxscaayrrrf3e/Hiking%20Trails%20of%20Shelton7.pdf?dl=0

Teresa Gallagher

Natural Resources Manager

City of Shelton

54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484

203-924-1555 x1315

McCreery, Edward P.

Jan 25, 2023, 3:16:25 PM1/25/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com

The trail crossing from Nicholdale Farms to Willis Woods across Rt 110 with the hill and speed of cars might warrant an additional “call-out” box on the Trails Map warning hikers to exercise extreme caution crossing Route 110.  Even though it is Land Trust Land – by the trail being shown on a City created map and connecting to City owned trails  – there is probably justification for the added warning.

Edward P. McCreery, III, Esq.
Pullman & Comley LLC

203 330 2216   •  emcc...@pullcom.com

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY OF ITS ATTACHMENTS ARE INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT, OR THE RECIPIENT’S DESIGNEE, AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS CONFIDENTIAL OR PRIVILEGED. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, PLEASE (1) IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY PULLMAN & COMLEY ABOUT THE RECEIPT BY TELEPHONING (203) 330-2000; (2) DELETE ALL COPIES OF THE MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS; AND (3) DO NOT DISSEMINATE OR MAKE ANY USE OF ANY OF THEIR CONTENTS.

thomas harbinson

Jan 25, 2023, 4:07:11 PM1/25/23
to shel...@googlegroups.com
Nice work.  When you see the bigger "war" picture, it reminds me of the "battles" for some parcels that were won, and some that were lost - but overall the Greenway Corridor concept has really been successful.  I think this is of great timing to have in front of public, as the RecPath area becomes impacted from usage due to utility work, and illustrating some other options they might not be aware of.

Tom Harbinson
Tel: 203SirTomH