FW: OK - this I did not know - a race track in the 30's in Shelton

McCreery, Edward P.

Aug 6, 2021, 11:54:25 AM8/6/21
to shel...@googlegroups.com

I checked a satellite image of the location but could not see any trace of a racetrack oval.  Most of it is a subdivision or wooded swamp land now – now much of it City Open Space.  But one old photo depicted a large white building as the fair hall building where pies and such were displayed on fair days.  I always thought the big (now red) farm house on the corner of Mohegan Rd and Booth Hill Rd seem oddly large for a typical old farm house.  I have to wonder now if that was the former fairgrounds exhibition hall mentioned in one article about the fairgrounds.

Huntington Speedway {From Valley Facebook Post}

 A rear photo as Johnny Carpenter sits in the winner’s circle of the Huntington, Speedway after a victory there in 1938.

 Huntington Speedway was located on the grounds of the former Huntington Fair Grounds off Mohegan Road, Shelton, a race track built on the old half mile oval dirt horse track. Open from May 6, 1934, to June 18, 1939, It was a popular place for fans and racers, crashes were common.

 On May 20, 1934, about 4,000, attend the air circus and automobiles races at the Huntington Speedway. Three race cars careen off the track, smashing through the inner rail into a mass of spectators. One racer and two spectators were injured, including one who had to be removed by ambulance. The air show included air stunts and parachutes. 1,200 automobiles were counted in the parking lot.