Trombetta Open Space

Teresa Gallagher

Nov 10, 2021, 9:23:01 AM11/10/21
to Google Group (sheltoncc@googlegroups.com)

Update on the 32-acre Trombetta open space where I discovered the Mile-a-Minute vine growing in September:

It was too late in the season to bother pulling up the Mile-a-Minute Vine because it dies with the frost, but the location was extremely difficult to reach, so I worked on making it accessible for next year.  There are many seeds in the ground that will be sprouting for years to come.  There’s now a loop trail about 0.5 mile long on the property (hikeable but still needs a bit more work). See maps.

To get across Means Brook, I was originally able to just walk across it with high-topped waterproof hiking boots, but after the Nor’easter the water has been about a foot deep and I’ve had to use tall rubber boots. With Terry’s help, I now have a 12-foot 2x10” board across the brook  tied to a tree for when it floods. Works great so far. Most of the time Means Brook is just a tiny brook, but when it floods the water really goes up high.

The new loop trail is not connected to Stockmal Trail (yet) because we need to get permission from Aquarion and the committee that manages Centennial Watershed State Forest to cross about 150’ of their land. I’m working with Joe Welsh on that (the state bought recreation rights over this and other water company properties across the state known as Centennial State Forest).  When we applied for the Stockmal Open Space grant, we stated that we wanted to preserve the Stockmal property and acquire pedestrian access over it in order to reach the Trombetta property, which is otherwise inaccessible. So public access to the Trombetta property has been a documented goal for many years. Currently, Stockmal Trail just stops quite abruptly and then hikers just have to turn around and go back. Being able to cross Means Brook and hike a half mile loop before returning would be a much nicer outing, even if the Trombetta property isn’t always accessible due to high water.

Teresa Gallagher

Natural Resources Manager

City of Shelton

54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT 06484

203-924-1555 x1315

Fullscreen capture 11102021 84312 AM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 11102021 84546 AM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 11102021 84813 AM.jpg

McCreery, Edward P.

Nov 10, 2021, 10:50:16 AM11/10/21
to shel...@googlegroups.com

One of my dreams has been to have a proper trail bridge built across the Means Brook to connect the two parcels of open space along with the trail through Stockmal Woods.  But to be able to withstand the spring time flooding would be a challenge and more importantly to be doing more than a board – we need to open a line of discussion with the water company as I recall they still own the stream bank sides and that strip separates the two city-owned parcels.  So could – should we put on the next agenda the beginning of a discussing a more formal bridge near that trail crossing.  Nothing bit like near the dam – but rather more like wooden bridges which cross the East Sprayne of the Means Brook through Nicholdale …albeit…probably have to be longer.  But single file is recommended to prevent ATVs from using.

Edward P. McCreery, III, Esq.
Pullman & Comley LLC

203 330 2216   •  emcc...@pullcom.com

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY OF ITS ATTACHMENTS ARE INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT, OR THE RECIPIENT’S DESIGNEE, AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS CONFIDENTIAL OR PRIVILEGED. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, PLEASE (1) IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY PULLMAN & COMLEY ABOUT THE RECEIPT BY TELEPHONING (203) 330-2000; (2) DELETE ALL COPIES OF THE MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS; AND (3) DO NOT DISSEMINATE OR MAKE ANY USE OF ANY OF THEIR CONTENTS.

Teresa Gallagher

Nov 10, 2021, 11:03:00 AM11/10/21
to shel...@googlegroups.com

I recommend just getting permission to put the trail across first. Then worry about a permanent bridge later. We’ve been looking at this crossing for a few years and it’s deceptively challenging and complicated. The river gets really high and wide with a strong flow.  Aquarion might have stipulations about bridge building if/when they grant permission for the trail to cross the brook. The simple plank provides surprisingly good hiker access for now, it’s just that hikers will need to throw it back across the river after every significant rainfall, and there will be times where the water may be too high to do so for a week or so.  That’s the way it is with some trails and that’s OK. I think local hikers will be willing to put the plank back after the water recedes.

Nov 10, 2021, 5:43:49 PM11/10/21
to Unknown
I've passed Teresa's car numerous times over the past week as she was working in field at Trombetta.
When Means Brook floods - IT FLOODS.
Part of that is silt that has filled up the brook's channel over the years.
Whatever crossing is facilitated, it would be a temporary style that works with the water flow, not against it.
Agreed that the focus for time being is having Acquarion give the pedestrian easement / access.

Tom Harbinson
Tel: 203SirTomH