NOULA - follow-up info from meeting

Sabina Carlson

Aug 4, 2010, 11:02:04 AM8/4/10
to shelterh...@googlegroups.com
This is Sabina Carlson from the NOULA Project who spoke briefly at the Shelter Cluster meeting today, and am writing a quicke e-mail to explain our system as requested:

  • After January 12, the Haitian ICT group Solutions created the platform NOULA in order to build a communications channel between the earthquake affected population and the public authorities/humanitarian responders.
  • The concept is simple: there is a shortcode, 177, that individuals can call or SMS for free from both service providers. Information is routed through our call center, which is staffed more than 12 hours a day by trained operators. Information is recorded, sorted, categorized, geolocated, and entered into the NOULA database.
  • Organisations interested in the information can subscribe to receive the information by SMS or e-mail, and based upon specified categories in location.
  • Our system can also so basic analysis on the data to look for certain key trends and problem areas. Those can be delivered to subscribers as weekly Situation Reports
  • For example: if I was a working on transitional shelters in a specified camp, I could subscribe to receive alerts via e-mail for any reports coming into 177 about t-shelters in that camp. Furth, if I did that, I could tell my beneficiaries to call 177 with feedback or comments about the t-shelters and I would automatically be routed the results, or could receive a weekly Sit Rp of the week's calls.
If there is any interest in how to use our system to helps upport the Shelter Cluster, or individual NGOs/projects, let me know - our project is about to be launched full-scale next Monday with the DPC, but already in our pilot stage we are getting incredibly interesting information on shelters....I have attached just a few from the past couple of days as reference...
--
Sabina Carlson

Project Manager
NOULA/Ushahidi Haiti Project