Corrupted USB stick data recovery

Richard Langner

Feb 23, 2022, 4:16:35 AM2/23/22
to Sheffield Hardware Hackers
A 32GB USB stick got corrupted, and Win10 asks if I want to format it.
Some recovery programs will recognise the drive and attempt to recover
files, but the free ones I found were very limited to number of files.

Any suggestions for free software to recover the data?

Adam Funk

Feb 23, 2022, 4:52:07 AM2/23/22
to sheffield-har...@googlegroups.com, Richard Langner
I'd try plugging it into a Linux machine and running fsck on it. You
might have to install the dosfstools package to get the fsck.vfat version.

James Muirhead

Feb 23, 2022, 7:02:03 AM2/23/22
to Sheffield Hackspace, Richard Langner
I also suggest running fsck before recovery.

You could also try chkdsk on Windows. E.g....

    chkdsk g: /x

/x is unmount and fix.
Add /r for recover data in bad sectors!
Change g: to relevent drive letter.

Recuva has a free version which has no file limit.

-OJ.

James Muirhead

Feb 23, 2022, 7:05:22 AM2/23/22
to Sheffield Hackspace, Richard Langner

James KW Moore

Feb 24, 2022, 4:55:31 AM2/24/22
to sheffield-har...@googlegroups.com, Richard Langner
I usually recommend running Photorec and Testdisk (under linux on a separate disk) for these kinds of recoveries.

Thanks,
James.

photo-logo
Dr James Moore
Research Computing Support Officer
The University of Sheffield
IT-Services | Research IT

a: IT Services, 10-12 Brunswick Street,
Sheffield, S10 2FN

linkedin github twitter

James Muirhead

Feb 24, 2022, 7:52:23 AM2/24/22
to sheffield-har...@googlegroups.com, James KW Moore, Richard Langner

Richard Langner

Feb 24, 2022, 7:57:44 AM2/24/22
to sheffield-har...@googlegroups.com
I tried chkdsk and the drive showed up as RAW, which chkdsk cannot handle.
I read somewhere when the stick corrupts it may show up as RAW..
Thanks all, I will try what James suggested next.

Oooh yeh, forgot about those.