Fwd: Friday from Portland Works

Sheffield Hackspace Trustees

Jul 10, 2021, 1:20:53 PM7/10/21
to sheffield-har...@googlegroups.com

FYI...

-OJ

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Friday from Portland Works
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 15:03:17 +0100
From: Donna Bate <man...@portlandworks.co.uk>

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all keeping well.

We have a new card and paper bin which I will label as belonging to  PWLS, which you can use. Please ensure that you use ours, not one belonging to a tenant.  This bin will be emptied fortnightly. Please make sure that you flatten the card before you put it in the bin, so  it doesn't fill up too quickly and please don't bring card / paper from home.

I am hoping that the first stage of the fire detection will be completed next week.  A new fire board will be installed in the cart entrance and this will indicate where the fire is.  There will no doubt be teething issues at first and the alarm may well go off when there is no fire.  Please take a moment to ensure that this is actually the case. Tenants have tended to ignore the fire alarm in the past.  If there is to be a period of testing, with it going off regularly, I will email around to let you know.  This stage of work will mean that the first and second floors of the outside blocks have detection.  We hope to next tackle the ground floor units.

We had a First Aid course in the Makerspace recently and I think it useful to remind you that we have a defibrillator on site, by the front door.

I have been emailed regarding The Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust (QEST) and have been asked to forward the information as it may be of interest to some of you.
The Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust (QEST) awards scholarship and apprenticeship funding of up to £18,000 to talented and aspiring craftspeople working in a broad range of traditional and contemporary skills, from blacksmithing and thatching to jewellery design, glassblowing and millinery.  Our next application round is open 12 July - 16 August 2021 and we are looking for more talented applicants.

Since it was founded in 1990, QEST has awarded over £5million to 625 individuals working in over 130 different crafts.  We define craft broadly and welcome applications from all areas including rural skills, contemporary craft, conservation, luthiery and much more.  A directory of all our alumni can be seen on our website, along with more details on how to apply - www.qest.org.uk

Interested makers can attend a Zoom ‘How To’ session to find out more about the application process and for helpful tips on filling out the application forms. These sessions will take place as follows:

How To Apply For A QEST Scholarship

If you are interested in finding out more and discussing a potential application, or would like to receive a copy of the latest QEST magazine, please contact katheri...@qest.org.uk

I hope that you have a good weekend, and that the match on Sunday is a good one!

Best wishes,

Donna

Donna Bate
Building Manager. Portland Works

0114 275 9354
www.portlandworks.co.uk

Office mobile 07311297074

Portland Works Little Sheffield Ltd. Randall Street, Sheffield, United Kingdom S2 4SJ. Registered in England and Wales. Company No. IPO31143