Fwd: The Portland Works Gazette | June 2021

Sheffield Hackspace Trustees

Jun 23, 2021, 5:32:49 PM6/23/21
to sheffield-har...@googlegroups.com

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: The Portland Works Gazette | June 2021
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 13:24:17 +0000
From: Portland Works <newsl...@portlandworks.co.uk>
To: trus...@sheffieldhackspace.org.uk

All the latest news from Portland Works

June 2021 Edition

Here we are, halfway through 2021 with glimmers of hope on the horizon for expanded social contacts and increased economic activity. The phased easing of restrictions since March has certainly seen a resurgence in the numbers of people around the building and visible evidence of the amazing of the work of everyone involved, especially the volunteers. There’s lots to report on in this issue. And what’s more, the sun has been shining!

Margo Huxley, Editor (click to email)

New Chair of Portland Works Board

Dr Chris Corker elected Chair of Portland Works

Portland Works is delighted to announce that Dr Chris Corker, business historian and lecturer in management at the University of York, has been elected Chair of the Works’ Board of Directors. He takes over from John Rouse, who has resigned after more than three years in the role.

Dr Corker is Sheffield born and bred and several generations of his family have lived here. He has researched the steel and armaments industry in Sheffield for over a decade and completed his PhD in business history at Sheffield Hallam University 2016.

He has been a Director on the Board since 2020 and has been closely involved in activities at the Works for several years, providing historical expertise and presenting several of its heritage lecture series. He has given numerous talks on local history to groups in Sheffield and the surrounding area and hopes to use his connection to Portland Works to continue to celebrate and champion this important landmark in the history of Sheffield and global technological development.

“I’m honoured to have been elected as Chair of Portland Works, which is such a vital part of our industrial heritage,” he says. “Since being saved from residential conversion in 2013 it has been reborn as a centre for small manufacturing, independent artists and craftspeople, housing more than 30 small businesses.

“Now we want to build on that work, complete the renovation of the building and ensure Portland Works is a relevant and important community heritage location. We’ll need to adapt and change to meet the challenges of a post-pandemic world and ensure that we thrive in future.”

“I’d like to pass on special thanks from all the Board to John for his years of dedication to the role and I’m delighted that he will continue his involvement as a volunteer.”

Outreach and Education

By Stella Howe, Outreach and Education Officer (click to email)

Open Weekend at Portland Works

We’re delighted that so many people joined us for our virtual Open Weekend from May 21-24. Stella Howe, Portland Works’ education and outreach officer who organised the Weekend, said: “Of course, we really missed welcoming people into the Works this year, but I’m thrilled that there were more than 1,200 visits to the website to see the events, exhibitions, mini-talks and commentary we put together to give people a flavour of all the exciting things that are happening at the Works.”

There, you will find an update on the dramatic completion of our famous tall chimney and an exhibition of previously unseen images of the Works, with a look back to our Open Day in 2019.

The series of fascinating mini-talks includes insights into Sheffield's industrial history; virtual reality in the performing arts; and the family history of Ernest Stuart, the factory manager at R.F Mosley.

Thanks to students from the University of Sheffield Architecture Department, who kindly gave their permission to share their work, we have included the digital magazine and film they produced after visiting and surveying spaces at the Works. It provides a unique snapshot and record of the building.

If you haven’t yet had chance to check them out, all the events are still available at our website. The Open Weekend also saw the launch of our global search for cutlery made at Portland Works in the last century.

Do you have a piece of Sheffield cutlery?

Portland Works has launched an international search for cutlery made here in the last century. In 1914, Portland Works (then known as Mosley’s) became the first place to make stainless steel cutlery. Its “Rusnorstain” cutlery became famous, was exported from Sheffield around the world, featured in international trade shows and was probably carried by families emigrating to the New World. It continued to be made at the Works until the 1960s.

Now we want to track those pieces and create a map showing their locations and the journey they have made from the “City of Steel”.

“We’d love people to search their cupboards, drawers and lofts to see if they have any items made by R.F. Mosley or other manufacturers at the time including Alexander Clark (marked “Welbeck”), George Gill, William H. Green, John Thomas, Johnsons & Sons, W. Mammatt or E. Atkinson & Sons,” said Dr Chris Corker the new Chair of the PW Board.

“We’re asking for photographs along with any relevant details, such as a name stamp, silver or EPNS marks and anything else about the item’s history. It will be so exciting to see where items made on Randall Street in Sheffield have ended up around the world.”

Please use the form at the link below to upload details of your finds and images of them.

UPLOAD YOUR IMAGES HERE

Spreading the Cultural Heritage of Sheffield

One of Portland Works’ key objectives is to build an accessible educational resource for the community and we work closely with both Sheffield universities to welcome their students from across the world. They often become volunteers while here in Sheffield and several have taken the opportunity to gain practical experience of heritage management through work placements at our Grade 2* listed building.

“The students provide us with lots of practical support and we’re thrilled when they take the knowledge and skills they gained here back to their home countries,” says Stella Howe, Outreach and Education Officer at Portland Works.

While working on her PhD at the University of Sheffield, Jooyoung Lee volunteered to archive our materials. She visited every week to scan, digitally store and index the paper records of the Works.  When she returned to South Korea, she was able to pass on her knowledge of heritage preservation.

Students from the Department of Archaeology at the University of Sheffield visit Portland Works as part of their Cultural Heritage Management MA course. Erica Poot Paredes, Saraah Ahmed and Mohammed Saqib Idrees were recently part of this cohort. “They were also very keen to become volunteers and support our Open Day in May.  It was an excellent learning experience for them. They were able to meet and interact with the public and acted as volunteer stewards, facilitated the use of QR codes, photographed the day, helped with refreshments and brought along many of their friends to introduce them to the Works,” said Stella.

“Some of the group continued to provide support right up to September 2020 and the end of their one-year course. They were a fantastic help with the afternoon tea lecture in June as part of the Great Get Together event inspired by Jo Cox MP. They also gained experience of managing events, engaging with the public and for some, practising their language skills.”

Erica shot a most wonderful series of images of the Works which exhibited at our 2021 Open Day in May. She now teaches at the Autonomous University of Mexico in Mexico City and keeps in touch to tell us how she draws on her experience at Portland Works in her teaching.

“I started to teach in two courses at the Autonomous University of Mexico in a BA called Intercultural Management,” said Erica in a recent letter. “This week, I talked and showed some photos of Portland Works in my course and the students were very interested about it. I want to let you know that I promote Portland Works and all your job on this side of the world. I just want to say thank you again. I had a great time at Sheffield and I would never forget it.”

For further information about Portland Works’ Outreach and Education activities, contact our Outreach and Education Officer, Stella Howe: outr...@portlandworks.co.uk.

Building Update

By Donna Bate, Manager (click to email)

With the volunteers back and working hard, tasks are being crossed off the list at a pace! We have been focussing on completing jobs which have been around for a while, mainly due to COVID.

Repairs to the top of the tall chimney are now complete and the scaffolding will soon be gone.

The mess room is now complete and in use. The volunteers have done a great job and its location in the corner of the small yard means that it is easily accessible for our tenants. We held a launch party, which some of the people who had donated towards the work were able to attend.  Along with the volunteers we would like to thank the Friends of Portland Works for funding, and Philip Skinner (Psalter Foundation) and Howdens Joinery for their contributions. The volunteers are taking turns to be on mess duties on Tuesdays (some being more willing than others!)

We have picked up the work renovating a unit in C Block, installing a fire-resistant wall, new doors and frames and a repairing the windows. This unit will require a full rewiring which unfortunately, will eat into our budget for the year.
Following the replacement of the Forge Roof for which the Friends of PW donated £6769, we have roofers coming in the next couple of weeks to make repairs to the roof of D Block and then the volunteers will replace the guttering and down pipes and start the mammoth job of restoring the windows.

We’ve had issues with water ingress off the flat roof and are now tackling the parapet walls, removing crumbling bricks and repointing. Plenty to keep us going and if you fancy joining us feel free to contact me: https://www.portlandworks.co.uk/volunteering/

We are hoping to expand out volunteering team as Stella has a number of projects we would like to get going, so look out for further opportunities on our website and via social media.

Volunteers’ Week

Celebrating our Volunteers

Volunteers’ Week from 1-7 June is a national celebration of the fantastic contribution that volunteers around the UK make every year.

We wanted to say thank you to our own volunteers who support Portland Works in so many ways - from restoring the fabric of the building to giving talks and tours on the history of the factory, helping out at events, writing our newsletter and much more.

For those volunteers who felt able to visit the building, we organised a small get together to say Thank You - complete with a wonderful cake made for us by Kezwink Cakes. The following day we held a Zoom party when our volunteers opened a thank you letter from the Chair of our Board of Directors, Dr Chris Corker, watched a video we’d made of them at work and heard recorded messages from the Lord Mayor of Sheffield, Councillor Gail Smith and Nancy Fielder, editor of the Sheffield Star.
The Lord Mayor said she’d been impressed to hear about the renovation of Portland Works, one of the UK’s most important historical industrial buildings and such a Sheffield landmark. “I know you give your time regularly and are happy to take on any challenge - including recently climbing all the way up the tall chimney to repair the brickwork and make it safe.” She added that she would like to visit the Works in person to see the progress the volunteers had made, and arrangements are now being made to welcome her.

The Star’s Nancy Fielder also paid tribute to our volunteers. “I am a great fan of Portland Works because of people like you who keep it going and have transformed it from a historical wreck, I think it’s fair to say, into something everyone in the city is proud of,” she said.

The Portland Works Gazette also got a mention!  “One of the most important things is to record everything you’re doing and I know Margo works really hard at the Portland Works Gazette to do just that. We are kindred spirits!”

You can read our interview with volunteer Stephen Ward here about what makes volunteering at Portland Works so special here.

Only Lucky Dogs in the Makerspace

Only Lucky Dogs Theatre was formed in January 2018 to make unusual, absurd and entertaining original theatre. Since then, this innovative company has created several shows, attended the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and performed in venues across Sheffield. Each show involves the skills of creatives and technicians from Sheffield and across the UK. Together, they make theatre to intrigue audiences and investigate something new about humanity, mining the depths of characters that are, on the surface, ordinary.

The Makerspace at Portland Works is the result of a long-term collaboration between Only Lucky Dogs and Portland Works staff and volunteers. After postponing their launch several times due to the pandemic, the Makerspace team are helping to bring live theatre back to the heart of Sheffield,

Opening on 18 June, the venue, funded in-part by the Arts Council, will host a mix of exciting performers from across the UK who are at the dawn of their careers. Productions will be broadcast online and to in-house audiences, which the company very much hopes will be at full capacity with no social distancing after 21 June (fingers crossed).

“Theatre has been stuck online for much longer than we expected,” said Pippa Le Grand, producer of Only Lucky Dogs and member of Portland Works Board of Directors. “I’ve seen some amazing performances online, but nothing quite compares to the audience and actors being together in a theatre. We can’t wait to finally get started.”

The Makerspace will host performers from across the north of England, including a comedy-drama about conspiracy theories, Radio 2 award-winning folk musician Rowan Rheingans, and an LGBT+ scratch night.

“It’s been frustrating to keep postponing, especially for our fantastic performers who have been preparing their shows for so long. But it’ll be worth it to create a really exciting programme for the audience,” said James Huxtable, artistic director. “We’ve been able to organise a programme of workshops to introduce people to different aspects of making theatre too.”

For theatre performers who have been trying to build their careers during the pandemic, small, intimate venues like the Makerspace are crucial to their survival. Larger venues, which have suffered heavy financial losses during the pandemic, might not be willing to take a risk on booking little-known artists. The chance to perform in venues like the Makerspace can help emerging performers stay in the industry and develop their careers.

Only Lucky Dogs say that their venue will become a go-to for every Sheffield theatre-lover keen to support emerging artists and enjoy new shows in a beautiful, historic venue. Portland Works already supports more than 30 artists and craftspeople, and the team hope to add the theatre-makers of tomorrow to their roster.

Pippa tells us more about the rollercoaster ride that Only Lucky Dogs has experienced over the last 18 months in an interview with Julia Shipston.

BUY LIVE/STREAMING TICKETS HERE

May Heritage Lecture Report

by Callum Sangster

'A Sheffield Art Craftsman': Charles Green (1834-1916), designer, sculptor, modeller Presented by Dr Sylvia Dunkley.

On 12 May, we were lucky to be joined by Dr Sylvia Dunkley for another of her wonderful heritage lectures, this time about Charles Green, a well-known Sheffield arts craftsman in his lifetime, but who fell into obscurity after his death in 1916.

Charles Green studied at the Sheffield Government School of Design (later the Sheffield School of Art) but, unlike most of his fellow students, stayed in Sheffield for most of his life. He was articled to the sculptor, Edwin Smith, and found employment at Henry Hooles’ Green Lane Works and later for a few years at the Effingham Iron and Brass Foundry in Rotherham. From early in his career, he had his own studio in Sheffield and for a while, one in London.

Dr Dunkley presented an array of different Charles Green designs, including the Lord Mayor of Sheffield’s chain which was designed after an incident at the opening of the Paris Exhibition in 1855. The then Mayor of Sheffield was refused a seat near Queen Victoria with the other prestigious representatives of the British Empire because he didn’t have a badge of office. As a result, a competition was held for designers to create a suitably impressive piece of jewellery. Money was raised by public subscription and the chain was purchased in 1856, designed by the winner, Charles Green.

Thanks to our guest speaker this month, we were able to hear about the wonderful work Charles Green undertook and the prestigious accolades he received at the time, and hopefully he will now receive the recognition he deserves.

Dr Dunkley also mentioned Godfrey Sykes, another Sheffield based designer, who she hopes will be the subject of a future talk.

Tenant Profile: Wilebore Handmade Leather Goods

"One day I saw an advert about spaces to rent at Portland Works. I went to have a look, was truly inspired by the fantastic craftsmen and women working there – and most importantly, found I could afford the rent. That was the start of Wilebore Hand Made Leather Goods.”

The rest of our interview with Kevin Wilebore can be found here.

Dates for your Diary

Heritage Lectures

These will both be popular events, so please book early.

Wednesday 21 July: The inaugural presentation by Robin Hughes of his new research on the history of Cambridge Street, Sheffield. Tickets go on sale from the beginning of July.

Wednesday 18 August: John Chapman, "The history of the Census and what it can tell us about families involved in Portland Works"

Advance notice of Creative Workshops in August

Our tenants are running an Art Taster Workshop on Saturday 14 August. There are two sessions: one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and can be booked through Eventbrite.

If you were forwarded this copy of the Portland Works Gazette and would like to join our mailing list, please just press the button below.

SIGN UP HERE

Copyright © 2021
Portland Works, Randall Street, Sheffield S2 4SJ

Email Marketing