Fw: [ssonhs-organize] Fwd: BIS OFFICE CLOSURES

Maggie Gray

Feb 8, 2016, 12:40:38 PM2/8/16
to Anna Guest, Terry Murphy, Alistair Tice, Kate Wright, Liz Morton, Jeremy Short, Alan Munro, Phil King, Sam Morecroft, Sarah Marshall, Dave Ross, sheffield-anti...@googlegroups.com, Peter Dowson

On Monday, 8 February 2016, 12:50, Carrie Hedderwick <hedde...@gmail.com> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carrie Hedderwick <hedde...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 12:48 PM
Subject: Fwd: BIS OFFICE CLOSURES

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sheffield Trades Council <tucshe...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 12:30 PM
Subject: BIS OFFICE CLOSURES

Subject: FW: BIS OFFICE CLOSURES

Sheffield is set to lose hundreds of civil service jobs if major office closures go ahead. 250 jobs are to go at BIS if the Sheffield office closes and jobs are transferred to - yes you guessed it!-  LONDON! So much for the Tories' Northern Powerhouse! You can help by signing this PCS petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/
When you've signed (it only takes a minute) please forward this message to your contacts

Please see message below from Marion Lloyd PCS explaining the background to this and why they need your support:

Please could you circulate this petition to branches asking them to encourage as many members and their families to sign this petition. The pressure is building as a result of the marvellous work done by members and reps in PCS this week.  The employer thought they had us the back foot by announcing that our office would close and we would all be made redundant without any consultation with the Trade Unions in BIS.  They informed me half an hour before the staff meeting, knowing that I was going on leave for a fortnight and knowing that my own job is at risk.  However we immediately had a members meeting and have successfully challenged all that anger into building the union, campaigning with other unions and organisations supportive in the work we do and through our political intervention getting press and media coverage in the mainstream press, trade journals and local press.
Clearly there is a lot more to be done and with the announcements in HMRC and local councils a victory in one area, utilising on the “northern powerhouse” myth we could expose the agenda aimed at dismantling the state in a way they have not known before.  We are already building and developing links across the city. We are a small department and it has astonished me the public reaction against the announcements and the immediate messages of support we have had and continue to have. We are building on this and part of our campaign is to force a debate in parliament as a result of this petition.  So please sign and encourage as many of your members to do likewise.  100,000 signatures is achievable in this region alone and a victory for us will have huge positive impacts for us all. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/120406
In Solidarity
Marion Lloyd
BIS Yorkshire and the Humber PCS Branch
PCS BIS Group President