Sheepdog Tip of the Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2015, 6:00:06 PM3/8/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The first response of most people upon seeing sudden, violent death is
relief; they are relieved that it did not happen to them. Say your partner
or buddy is killed and your first thought is, "Thank God it wasn't me."
Later, when you reflect on your first response, how do you think that will
make you feel? Guilty. You are consumed with guilt because no one ever told
you that the normal response of most people upon seeing sudden violent
death is to focus on themselves, and to feel relief. The puppy is in charge
(your midbrain, that part concerned about your survival), and it sends out
a message: Hey, that could have been me. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On
Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/31

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2015, 6:00:10 PM3/9/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
When referring to competition, we must be very specific. The precision
required for an Olympic-style competition may not give you much in return
toward a gunfight, but many of the practical type of matches could. If they
don't, then find a competition that does, or invent one that will test your
skills against others with something at stake. Linda K. Miller and Keith
Cunningham, Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/246

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2015, 6:00:10 PM3/10/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Seek justice, not vengeance. Acting unjustly makes you a lot more likely to
have PTSD. It makes it a lot harder to cope because you have to keep it
secret. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, Sheepdog Seminar for Churches
(paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/226

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2015, 6:00:08 PM3/11/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
After the incident in Littleton, Colorado, much was made of the fact that
teens are using graphic video and computer games to train and condition
themselves to kill. There is some truth to this. However, we do not and
should not, allow them to have a monopoly on this training "tool." Video
games can be used as a unique and inexpensive method for honing your skills
as well. A new video game, "Silent Scope," is the latest rage in the local
arcades. This game puts you, the sniper, behind a scoped rifle, interacting
in an unfolding scenario in which your talents are needed to help rescue
the President's daughter from terrorists. The game will help you work on
observations skills, tracking and identifying targets, snap shooting, and
moves. It will never replace real range time, but it is a nice variation,
and it's fun. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/8

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2015, 6:00:09 PM3/12/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
We will not have an efficient fireground operation if all decisions must
come from the top down in the form of explicit control by the incident
commander. While it is critical that decision-making authority be pushed
down to the lowest levels, we have to accept that not everyone is a natural
decision maker. Complete information is often lacking. When confronted with
uncertainty, and with little time for analysis, some people find making
critical, timely, decisions are very challenging. Christopher Brennan, The
Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/187

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2015, 6:00:08 PM3/13/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France: There is no safety
for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men. Lt. Col.
Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/70

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2015, 6:00:07 PM3/14/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
To be truly effective, soldiers must bond to their leader just as they must
bond to their group. Shalit notes a 1973 Israeli study that shows that the
primary factor in ensuring the will to fight is identification with the
direct commanding officer. Compared with an established and respected
leader, an unknown or discredited leader has much less chance of gaining
compliance from soldiers in combat. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/148

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2015, 6:00:06 PM3/15/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
In 2011 eighty six cops were murdered in the line of duty. About two
hundred cops killed themselves (low ball estimate). You wouldn't let a
scumbag criminal kill you, don't let yourself do it either. Get help if you
need it. Tell yourself, now: "I will fight for my life. No one takes my
life, without a fight... including me." Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, The Bullet
Proof Mind seminar (paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/156

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2015, 6:00:05 PM3/16/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
When we first met, my wife did not understand how, if I was presented with
a list of three options, I would pick something before she even finished
reading the list. I finally explained it to her like this: In my job I have
to make decisions in a fraction of a second, and I have to trust my life
with those decisions. When you look at life that way, it tends to
streamline the thought process. Christopher Brennan, The Combat Position:
Achieving Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/163

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2015, 6:00:08 PM3/17/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
To defeat terrorists use a "swarm tactic". This is the model that Israel
has developed over 50 years of terrorist threat. Have people attack from
all directions, accept the small risk of friendly fire loses to reduce the
much greater risk of unfriendly fire. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, The Bullet
Proof Mind seminar (paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/216