Sheepdog Tip of the Day

1 view

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2015, 5:00:10 PM1/17/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Exploit tunnel vision. Come from the side. Sheepdog Defense Group, Unarmed
Combat Seminar (paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/228

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2015, 5:00:06 PM1/18/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
I was training and assisting mental health professionals during the
aftermath of one major school shooting. One of the psychologists told me
about a teacher who was upset that he had not used towels to pack a gunshot
victim's wounds. "I failed," he said in the debriefing the day after the
event. One of the other teachers said to him, "But you did use the towels.
Don't you remember?" Then he mentioned something else that he felt he
should have done, and again his fellow teachers reassured him, "But you
did, don't you remember?" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/16

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2015, 5:00:06 PM1/19/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Resiliency comes from motivation, the faith the world needs what you have
to give. Every bad thing that happens should renew your motivation to train
and prepare for violence. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, Sheepdog Seminar for
Churches (paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/227

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2015, 5:00:07 PM1/20/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Like most fine-motor skills, if you rehearse what to say ahead of time
there is an increased likelihood that the skill will be there for you at
the moment of truth when you are operating in Condition Red. Police
officers, for example, are taught to call out, "Police! Drop the weapon.
Get down. Get down." Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/43

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2015, 5:00:07 PM1/21/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
When you're shooting well, shoot lots. Jack said that he was shooting the
best standing he had ever shot, and he just kept doing it until he stopped
shooting so well. It's absolutely the very best practice that you can get.
The subconscious mind becomes saturated with firing the perfect shot.
Linda K. Miller and Keith Cunningham, Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/289

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2015, 5:00:08 PM1/22/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Sergeant Major Daniel Hendrex (a US Army veteran with two years combat duty
in Iraq, and author of the book A Soldiers Promise): "I was witness
to 'muj' [enemy troops] continuing (very unsuccessfully) a fight against
Bradleys (25mm main gun). Here is a weapon that is just as deadly as tanks,
but the insurgents would continue to fight. I think the psychological
effect of a 120mm tank main gun round going off and echoing throughout the
tight confines of a city had an enormous effect on the enemies will to
fight. I can't remember one battle lasting over 5 minutes when we had the
luxury of tanks. Even when I didn't have tanks, my HMMWVs [wheeled tactical
vehicles] were loaded with at least two AT-4s [anti-armor rockets]. A
similar effect was produced by the AT4s." Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On
Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/4

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2015, 5:00:07 PM1/23/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
There are only two types on the battlefield: warriors and victims. Sheep
avoid the battle, or refuse to participate, but warriors seem to have two
basic attitudes as they go into combat. One group appears to honestly look
forward to it. The second group doesn't really want to do it, but since it
has to be done, their attitude is, "Let's get it over with." Both are
perfectly healthy and appropriate responses. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On
Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/51

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2015, 5:00:06 PM1/24/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Leaders have to be calm when everything goes to hell. This is the reason
warriors do not respect leaders who blow their cool. Lt. Col. Dave
Grossman, The Bullet Proof Mind seminar (paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/218

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2015, 5:00:06 PM1/25/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The standard methods of on the scene rationalization fail when the enemy's
child comes out to mourn over her father's body or when the enemy is a
child throwing a hand grenade. And the North Vietnamese and Vietcong
understood this. Among the many excellent narratives gained from personal
interviews in Al Santoli's book To Bear Any Burden is the story of
Troung "Mealy," a former Vietcong agent in the Mekong Delta. "Children were
trained," said Mealy, "to throw grenades, not only for the terror factor,
but so the government or American soldiers would have to shoot them. Then
the Americans feel very ashamed. And they blame themselves and call their
soldiers war criminals." And it worked. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On
Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/141

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2015, 5:00:06 PM1/26/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
In 1910, the average person slept nine hours a night. As we made technical
progress to conquer the night, we created working environments where people
could be expected function in a 24/7 manner. The average American now
sleeps approximately 6.5 hours per night. Our need for sleep has not
changed in a hundred years. We have not developed an adaptation that
reduces our need for sleep. We are simply robbing ourselves of a vital
component of our continued health and productivity. Christopher Brennan,
The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/144

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2015, 6:30:03 PM1/26/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Think you know this? Why not take a random quiz at
https://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/quiz/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day