Sheepdog Tip of the Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2014, 6:00:07 PM9/29/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
You do not rise to the occasion in combat, you sink to the level of your
training. Do not expect the combat fairy to come bonk you with the combat
wand and suddenly make you capable of doing things that you never rehearsed
before. It will not happen. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/55

qbz...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2014, 12:56:59 PM9/30/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Sign up for the FREE Grossman Academy 5-day crash course on school safety
http://bit.ly/1u9fhOO

qbz...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2014, 6:00:06 PM9/30/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
In the Art of War, Clausewitz talks of "the fog of war" and its impact on
the ability of armies to be successful on the field of battle. The
commander who can minimize the fog of war, minimize uncertainty, and
maximize the individual soldier's sense of duty and mission will
ultimately be successful on the field of battle. Christopher Brennan,
The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/203

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2014, 6:00:07 PM10/1/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
History is full of tales of soldiers who have committed suicide or
inflicted terrible wounds upon themselves to avoid combat. It isn't fear of
death that motivates these men to kill themselves. Like many of their
civilian counterparts who commit suicide, these men would rather die or
mutilate themselves than face the aggression and hostility of a very
hostile world. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/117

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2014, 6:00:08 PM10/2/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The recent loss of friends and beloved leaders in combat can also enable
violence on the battlefield. The deaths of friends and comrades can stun,
paralyze, and emotionally defeat soldiers. But in many circumstances
soldiers react with anger (which is one of the well known response stages
to death and dying), and then the loss of comrades can enable killing. Our
literature is full of examples, and even our law includes concepts such as
temporary insanity and extenuating and mitigating circumstances. Revenge
killing during a burst of rage has been a recurring theme throughout
history, and it needs to be considered in the overall equation of factors
that enable killing on the battlefield. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On
Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/164

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2014, 6:00:09 PM10/3/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
In religious rituals, the sound of the organ music, the lighting of
candles, and the invocations of the celebrant are subconscious triggers
that tell your brain that something special is going on. Those triggers
are imbued with sacred meanings that are supposed to cause your mind to
focus and set aside unimportant thoughts. That initial dispatch should be
the same thing. That should be the trigger that shuts off your thoughts
about the fight you had with your spouse, about how your kid is doing in
school, and even worrying about your parent who is dying in a hospital
bed. You can come back to those thoughts later. They are important, but
they are completely irrelevant right now. Why? We have a sacred duty to
protect society. You must be 100% in the moment to fulfill that duty. The
initial dispatch should trigger your mind to focus on the task at hand.
Learning to do this can be challenging, of course. We all get consumed in
our thoughts. Learning to flip a switch to shut out those other concerns
will come only with practice. Christopher Brennan, The Combat Position:
Achieving Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/179

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2014, 7:30:03 PM10/3/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Think you know this? Why not take a random quiz at
https://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/quiz/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2014, 6:00:07 PM10/4/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Many authorities speak and write of emotional stamina on the battlefield as
a finite resource. I have termed this the Well of Fortitude. Faced with the
soldier's encounters with horror, guilt, fear, exhaustion, and hate, each
man draws steadily from his own private reservoir of inner strength and
fortitude until finally the well runs dry. And then he becomes just another
statistic. I believe that this metaphor of the well is an excellent one for
understanding why at least 98 percent of all soldiers in close combat will
ultimately become psychiatric casualties. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On
Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/125

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2014, 6:00:06 PM10/5/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
After one horrendous massacre at a middle school, many of the 11-, 12- and
13-year-old children said in their debriefings that they believed that what
had happened was all their fault. "If I had just been nicer to him on the
bus on Friday maybe he wouldn't have been mad at us." "If I had just said
something to him in the hallway on Monday, maybe he wouldn't have done
this." "If I had not let the fire door shut behind us..." "If I had only
pulled her down to the ground when I went down." On and on it went. If
the kids were thinking this way, finding some convoluted probability path
by which they could have prevented some aspect of what had happened, what
do you suppose the teachers were thinking? They were eating themselves
alive. This brings us to the second debriefing principle: pain shared is
pain divided. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/33

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2014, 6:00:09 PM10/6/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
This is probably one of the most controversial things we advocate. Pretend
that things are the way you want them until your self-image changes and
things actually become the way you want them. As they say in The Secret,
you attract what you expect. And pretending that something is already done
is the clearest statement of expectation that you can make. Linda K.
Miller and Keith Cunningham, Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/272

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2014, 6:00:07 PM10/7/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Standard actions are much like going to a restaurant. You walk into a steak
place with every intention of ordering a rib eye, medium rare, with a baked
potato and a pint. Your friend who is with you walks in and is not sure
what to order. The waiter hands you a menu, and what do you do? You glance
at it, but unless there is something that jumps out at you as being better
than what you wanted, you set it aside. Your friend, on the other hand,
looks at everything on the menu! You knew what you were going to order, and
after a quick examination of the "ground truth" (the specials of the day),
you were ready to move forward. Your friend walked in without any thought
of what to order and had to analyze all the various options. The end result
is that you had to spend more time waiting to eat while this analysis took
place. Time is generally not of the essence when ordering dinner, but it
certainly is combat. Christopher Brennan, The Combat Position: Achieving
Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/193

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2014, 5:58:28 PM10/8/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Enroll in the 100% online Grossman Academy for only $99! Learn more about
the course details here: http://bit.ly/1l5wjV9

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2014, 6:00:09 PM10/8/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
One police officer gave another example of learning to do the wrong thing.
He took it upon himself to practice disarming an attacker. At every
opportunity, he would have his wife, a friend or a partner hold a pistol on
him so he could practice snatching it away. He would snatch the gun, hand
it back and repeat several more times. One day he and his partner
responded to an unwanted man in a convenience store. He went down one isle,
while his partner went down another. At the end of the first aisle, he was
taken by surprise when the suspect stepped around the corner and pointed a
revolver at him. In the blink of an eye, the officer snatched the gun away,
shocking the gunman with his speed and finesse. No doubt this criminal was
surprised and confused even more when the officer handed the gun right back
to him, just as he had practiced hundreds of times before. Fortunately for
this officer, his partner came around the corner and shot the subject. Lt.
Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/34