Sheepdog Tip of the Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2015, 6:00:08 PM3/18/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Prepare for fire as a weapon of mass destruction. In the Beslan school
massacre (in Russia, Sept. 1-3, 2004) there were a thousand hostages in a
burning gym. The firefighters refused to go in and put it out because the
terrorists were still shooting. Even when a civilian took the wheel and
brought in a fire engine, it still didn't help because the water tank was
empty. Over three hundred of the hostages died, the majority of them were
killed by the fire. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, Sheepdog Seminar for Churches
(paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/225

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2015, 7:30:03 PM3/18/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Think you know this? Why not take a random quiz at
https://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/quiz/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2015, 6:00:07 PM3/19/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The killer can be empowered by his killing, but ultimately, often years
later, he may bear the emotional burden of guilt that he has buried with
his acts. This guilt becomes virtually unavoidable when the killer's side
has lost and must answer for its actions which, as we have seen, is one of
the reasons that forcing participation in atrocities is such a strangely
effective way of motivating men in combat. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On
Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/177

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2015, 6:00:08 PM3/20/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The first stage [of training with new hardware] is the experimental stage.
During this stage, we educate the student on the principles behind the
skill we're about to teach. We then demonstrate how we expect that skill to
be carried out, and then we provide lots of coached practice. We set up the
sniper rifle to fit properly. We adjust the scope for proper eye relief. We
make sure the trigger is right. We experiment with different adaptations of
the basic positions to find the one that is right for that individual. We
set the student up for success. This is all low-intensity training. Our
philosophy is, "Get good before you get fast, and smooth is fast." The
second stage of marksmanship practice is live rehearsals and scenarios,
which extends into operations. This is high-intensity training, and while
it starts off slowly, it gains momentum as the skill levels develop.
Because the emphasis is on being smooth, the student will get fast without
trying. It's during this stage that the student becomes ready for
operations. Then there is the recovery phase. It's widely known and well
documented that tactical police officers need some downtime, some time away
from the stresses of their job. Linda K. Miller and Keith Cunningham,
Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/287

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2015, 7:30:07 PM3/20/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2015, 6:00:08 PM3/21/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
"The thought of cold steel sliding into your guts," says McKenna, "is more
horrific and real than the thought of a bullet doing the same perhaps
because you can see the steel coming." This powerful revulsion to being
killed with cold steel can also be observed in mutinous Indian soldiers
captured during the 1857 Sepoy Mutiny who "begged for the bullet" by
pleading to be executed with a rifle shot rather than the bayonet. Lt.
Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/138

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2015, 6:00:09 PM3/22/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The evacuation syndrome is the paradox of combat psychiatry. A nation must
care for its psychiatric casualties, since they are of no value on the
battlefield indeed, their presence in combat can have a negative impact on
the morale of other soldiers and they can still be used again as valuable
seasoned replacements once they've recovered from combat stress. But if
soldiers begin to realize that insane soldiers are being evacuated, the
number of psychiatric casualties will increase dramatically. An obvious
solution to this problem is to rotate troops out of battle for periodic
rest and recuperation this is standard policy in most Western armies - but
this is not always possible in combat. Proximity or forward treatment
and expectancy are the principles developed to overcome the paradox of
evacuation syndrome. These concepts, which have proved themselves quite
effective since World War I, involve (1) treatment of the psychiatric
casualty as far forward on the battlefield as possible that is, in the
closest possible proximity to the battlefield, often still inside enemy
artillery range and (2) constant communication to the casualty by
leadership and medical personnel of their expectancy that he will be
rejoining his comrades in the front line as soon as possible. Lt. Col.
Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/109

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2015, 6:00:09 PM3/23/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Everybody needs hobbies. If you choose hunting or shooting, you'll be able
to relax, enjoy yourself, and prepare for emergencies. Another good choice
is any hobby that includes cardiovascular exercise. Lt. Col. Dave
Grossman, The Bullet Proof Mind seminar (paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/80

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2015, 6:00:07 PM3/24/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Nothing creates terror like coming after the kids. Schools and day-care
centers are prime targets for terrorists, domestic (Sandy Hook) and
international (Beslan). Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, The Bullet Proof Mind
seminar (paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/206

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2015, 6:00:11 PM3/25/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The armies of the world have long understood the role of social learning in
developing aggression in their soldiers. In order to do this their venue
has been basic training, and their instrument has been the drill sergeant.
The drill sergeant is a role model. He is the ultimate role model. He is
carefully selected, trained, and prepared to be a role model who will
inculcate the soldierly values of aggression and obedience. He is also the
reason that military service has always been a positive factor for young
people from delinquent or disadvantaged backgrounds. Lt. Col. Dave
Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/142

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2015, 6:00:08 PM3/26/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
A veteran quoted by Dyer shows a deep understanding of the tremendous
pressures many of these factors place on the "ordinary, basically decent"
American soldier: You put those same kids in the jungle for a while, get
them real scared, deprive them of sleep, and let a few incidents change
some of their fears to hate. Give them a sergeant who has seen too many of
his men killed by booby traps and by lack of distrust, and who feels that
Vietnamese are dumb, dirty, and weak, because they are not like him. Add a
little mob pressure, and those nice kids who accompany us today would rape
like champions. Kill, rape and steal is the name of the game. Lt. Col.
Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/167

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2015, 7:30:06 PM3/26/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com

qbz...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2015, 6:00:09 PM3/27/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
You swore an oath to justice, not vengeance. You use the violence required,
no more. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, The Bullet Proof Mind seminar
(paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/204