Sheepdog Tip of the Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2014, 5:00:06 PM12/28/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Hollywood loves the pity party, the archetype of the veteran who is scarred
for life. That's rare. Men who returned from years of combat in WWII were
mostly fine, and you'll be fine too. Create a positive self-fulfilling
prophesy. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, The Bullet Proof Mind seminar
(paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/157

qbz...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2014, 5:00:07 PM12/29/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Everything in the samurai lifestyle was about choice and self-control.
There is a story told that a young samurai went looking for the man who
had assassinated his master. It took the young samurai years to find this
man. When he finally did corner the assassin and drew his sword, the
cornered man spit into the face of the samurai. The samurai paused,
sheathed his sword, and walked away. He did so because if he had killed
the assassin, it would have been out of his own personal anger, rather
than out of a sense of duty. The story itself may or may not be true, but
it is a parable nonetheless that offers some insight into the mind-set of
the samurai warrior and the level of self-control that they required of
themselves. Christopher Brennan, The Combat Position: Achieving
Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/176

qbz...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2014, 5:00:08 PM12/30/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
You have probably heard of the Big Bang Theory. I call this the Bigger Bang
Theory, which states that, "all other things being equal, in combat whoever
makes the bigger bang wins." The psychological effects of gunpowder can be
thought of as a continuum. At the top of the continuum are the flash bang,
the hand grenade, the aerial bomb and the artillery barrage. At the bottom
is the pistol and in between is the rifle. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On
Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/73

qbz...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2014, 5:00:07 PM12/31/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The one thing that I learned on the 37 recon missions that I did in Vietnam
was that luck is always a factor in surviving. However, you need to develop
and constantly practice your skills to improve your luck. This is the point
I have tried to get across to every soldier I've ever trained from that
point on. YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO GOOD A SHOT. Linda K. Miller and Keith
Cunningham, Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/238

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2015, 5:00:07 PM1/1/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Dr. Artwohl surveyed 141 police officers who had been in what law
enforcement agencies sometimes call "deadly force encounters." We would
call them gunfights. She found that more than eight out of ten officers
experienced diminished sound, that is, the gunshots "got quiet." Lt. Col.
Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/34

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2015, 5:00:07 PM1/2/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Consider the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado.
Two kids, wearing long trench coats and armed with a variety of firearms,
including a 10-shot, Hi-Point model 995-carbine rifle and two Savage
12-gauge shotguns, came to school to bring death to their fellow
classmates. When it was over, 14 students, including the shooters, and one
teacher lay dead and 23 other students and faculty were seriously injured.
The shooters began their carnage in the front of the school where a school
resource officer pulled up and engaged them in a gunfight. He started out
well (one report said he hit the magazine of one killers carbine) however,
he quickly ran out of ammunition and had to pull out, leaving the school to
the two most horrendous juvenile mass-murderers we have ever seen. If he
had had a rifle in his vehicle and had been trained to use it, do you think
the situation at that school might have turned out differently? Lt. Col.
Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/0

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2015, 5:00:09 PM1/3/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
If the body is short of oxygen in the blood, one of the first locations
that gets less is the eyes, and this directly affects the shooter's vision.
The shortage of oxygen will also soon affect the brain (decision making)
and fine-motor control (trigger finger). Linda K. Miller and Keith
Cunningham, Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/248

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2015, 5:00:08 PM1/4/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
There are deeper underlying causes for the psychiatric casualties suffered
by soldiers in combat. Resistance to overt aggressive confrontation, in
addition to the fear of death and injury, is responsible for much of the
trauma and stress on the battlefield. Thus, the Reign of Fear is
represented as only one contributing factor in the soldier's dilemma.
Fear, combined with exhaustion, hate, horror, and the irreconcilable task
of balancing these with the need to kill, eventually drives the soldier so
deeply into a mire of guilt and horror that he tips over the brink into
that region that we call insanity. Indeed, fear may be one of the least
important of these factors. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/110

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2015, 5:00:06 PM1/5/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
"Thou shalt not kill" doesn't mean God doesn't want you to kill in the line
of duty. The accurate translation is "Thou shalt not murder". Lawful use of
deadly force to protect innocent life is very much approved by the Bible.
Exodus 22:2 (KJV): "If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he
die, there shall no blood be shed for him." Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, The
Bullet Proof Mind seminar (paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/93

qbz...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2015, 5:00:06 PM1/6/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Not seeing or hearing something because you are concentrating on something
else is a psychological manifestation. "Tunnel vision" and "auditory
exclusion" appear to involve both psychological "concentration" influences
and powerful physiological effects caused by bio-mechanical changes to the
eye and ear. We need much more research on this topic, but the dominant
theory at this time is that these biomechanical changes to the sensory
organs are a side effect of vasoconstriction and the other stress responses
that were addressed earlier. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/63