Sheepdog Tip of the Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2014, 6:00:08 PM8/10/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
A "suck it up and drive on" ethos has great survival value in the heat of
battle, but it has also kept us from seeking helpful treatment after the
battle. One veteran police officer who survived a shooting experience told
me, "Colonel, you tell all these young guys, 'Don't try to be a macho man.'
Tell 'em to get help if they need it. I tried to macho it out after my
shooting and didn't get help when I needed it, and it damned near killed
me." No sane person would turn down antibiotics if the doctor prescribed
them, and no reasonable warrior should turn away from psychological help if
it is available and needed. Totti Karpela, the head instructor of the
Helsinki, Finland Police Department says it well: "It's a sign of strength
to admit that you're not always strong enough." The presence of new
tactics and new medicines saves lives in modern combat, but lives are still
lost. Doing a better job in the area of psychological debriefings and
bulletproofing the mind will reduce psychiatric casualties, but it is no
guarantee. Do you see how we can walk that middle road between the
mindless macho man on one side, and the pity party on the other? Lt. Col.
Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/65

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2014, 7:30:05 PM8/10/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Think you know this? Why not take a random quiz at
https://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/quiz/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2014, 1:18:25 PM8/11/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Fellow Sheepdogs! Dave Grossman here. We just released our latest book,
now available on Amazon.com:

COMPLETELY NEW AND UPDATED VERSION OF:

STOP TEACHING OUR KIDS TO KILL

My wonderful co-author, Gloria DeGaetano, has done amazing work, providing
the very latest research and info on this topic. Check it out! And we
would deeply appreciate it if you could put a positive review on the
Amazon.com page. As usual, the video game whackos have already begun to
attack and we could use your assistance.

Stay staunch!

Dave

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2014, 6:00:10 PM8/11/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
There will be a certain percentage of people who never grasp the training,
but your goal as a professional is to keep that percentage to a bare
minimum. It is easy to design a force-on-force paint bullet scenario that
makes every trainee look like an idiot, but all that proves is that the
trainers are jerks. But suppose you are a trainer and you put a warrior
through a scenario where he fails, and then you put him through it again
and he succeeds. First you revealed a flaw in his armor and then you taught
him how to shore up that weakness. In so doing, you brought him out the
other end of the exercise as a superior warrior. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman,
On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/36

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2014, 7:30:03 PM8/11/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2014, 6:00:08 PM8/12/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
We need precision control. The rule is that you do not fire any faster than
you can hit the target. Is there a tendency upon occasion for police
officers to fire faster than they can hit? You better believe it. When in a
life-and-death struggle, it is not uncommon for a police officer, soldier
or civilian to fire as fast as they can and as long as they can until the
target goes away. Sometimes this is called "the spray and pray" response.
Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/20

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2014, 10:25:52 AM8/13/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The mission of Grossman Academy is to offer top-quality, 100% online
training courses based on Lt. Col. Grossmans expertise in the fields of
combat and military psychology. Learn more at www.bit.ly/1r6LAeh

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2014, 6:00:10 PM8/13/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
When you are warned that something might happen, you can more easily
control the amount of stress you receive. However, if you spend your life
in denial and then something happens, it hurts you, and hurts you
seriously. That is why the sheep are destroyed by combat. The sheepdog, who
expects the wolf and is prepared for it, thrives in the combat environment.
The fog of uncertainty will dissipate when you are mentally prepared, and
accept the fact that on any given day there are bad people in the world who
are able and willing to hurt you. This does not mean that the sheepdog's
job is easy. It simply means that he can exist in a realm that destroys the
sheep. Even the sheepdog must learn to live with and manage stress. Lt.
Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/98

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2014, 6:00:06 PM8/14/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Broad scan doesn't mean just in front of you. And of course, officers need
to be aware that bullets can go through things and then hit you. Linda K.
Miller and Keith Cunningham, Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/234

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2014, 6:00:05 PM8/15/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
You have to understand your strengths as well as your weaknesses, in the
context of the challenges that you will confront on the fireground. Once
you understand your personal condition, you can see where you are along the
path to the ready position. Then the real work begins. You will not get to
the ready position by working on your strengths, but by focusing on your
weaknesses. Diligent effort, focus, and study will prepare you for the
physical and mental challenges you will face daily on and off the job.
Christopher Brennan, The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/160

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2014, 6:15:31 PM8/15/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Enroll in the On Combat certification course today and receive a FREE
Grossman Academy T-shirt!

*Limit one per customer. Once your order has been confirmed please email
you t-shirt size and address to grossma...@v-academy.com!
http://bit.ly/1tdUxTt

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2014, 6:00:03 PM8/16/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Combat is a dynamic environment. We cannot rely on a single mental image of
conditions or on one boilerplate plan for every fire. To make reasonably
well-informed decisions, we need to understand the role that situational
awareness plays in our ability to stay relatively safe. We must recognize
the role that our personal condition plays in our capacity to make
decisions. While it seems obvious to say, we need to develop a dynamic
thought process that is an aid when we are analyzing the incomplete and
imperfect information that is available in combat. To think in a dynamic
fashion, we need to have a solid foundation in our basic skills; that is,
we need to draw upon the fundamentals. Christopher Brennan, The Combat
Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/195

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2014, 7:30:03 PM8/16/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2014, 6:00:05 PM8/17/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Two police officers are in a gunfight, blazing away at the suspect. One
said later that he saw his partner get shot. "I see the bullets rip through
my partner's body," he said. "I see the blood gush out. I drop [kill] the
suspect, holster my weapon, and turn to my partner. But he's fine; he's not
hit." The officer clearly saw his partner shot. He saw the bullet holes
and he saw the blood. When the battle is over, he goes to his partner's
aid, but discovers he is not hurt at all. The officer believes what he saw
with such intensity that he begins pulling at his partner's clothes...
which understandably distresses the unharmed man. When under great stress
you may envision your worst fear--"My God, my partner is hit!"--and you see
it so clearly in your mind that you are absolutely convinced it really
happened. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/18

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2014, 7:30:03 PM8/17/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2014, 6:00:04 PM8/18/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
There is a reason why the best operational snipers often have a hunting
background. That is because hunting can be, or perhaps should be, conducted
like a military operation. By the time the hunter becomes a sniper in the
military, he already has considerable experience. And as you may have
guessed, there is an underlying theme in this book that relates the
training value of hunting and competition to operations. Linda K. Miller
and Keith Cunningham, Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/253

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2014, 2:47:38 PM8/19/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
There is still time to register for the live event with Lt. Col. Grossman
in Thompson's Station, TN on August 26th! Please reserve your seat today at
www.bitly.com/GrossmanNashville

qbz...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2014, 6:00:05 PM8/19/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
We must be cautious about putting specific numbers on these Conditions, but
it would appear that even under the most ideal circumstances, above 175
beats per minute (bpm) a catastrophic set of events begins to happen. Lt.
Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/10