Sheepdog Tip of the Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2015, 5:00:07 PM2/16/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Target shooting (IPSC, IDPA, bullseye, cowboy action shooting, or any other
kind) is a very good hobby. You don't lose shooting skills the way you lose
cardio as you age. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, The Bullet Proof Mind seminar
(paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/195

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2015, 5:00:10 PM2/17/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
If you get holes punched in your body, blood will come out. On rare
occasions, the contents of your intestines may come out, too, but do not
worry about that because someone will clean it up. But most of the time
blood is going to come out. How much? Well, your body holds approximately
one and a half gallons of blood, and you can lose 30 percent, approximately
a half gallon, without losing your hydraulics. To see what that much
blood looks like, take a half gallon of strawberry milk and pour it on the
ground. Yes, it is a large puddle, but tell yourself that that is the
volume of blood you can lose and still fight. Erase all doubt that you can
keep going and keep fighting. Know that if you stop before you lose that
much blood, it is your will that failed, not your body. Lt. Col. Dave
Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/3

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2015, 5:00:06 PM2/18/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
One way to help your situational awareness is to keep thinking like your
enemy. When Keith was a private soldier in the Canadian Army, his platoon
warrant officer, Cy Clayton, who later became the regimental sergeant
major, was one of the best NCOs he knew. He particularly remembers that at
any time on a field exercise when the platoon needed a boost, he would ask
them, "What's the worst thing that could happen to you now?" Everyone would
quickly look around and someone would answer, "If we took fire from that
tree line." "Yes," Cy would say, "and what could we do about that?" This
would cause everyone to think tactics, and there would be a fun discussion
on the possible solution. Linda K. Miller and Keith Cunningham, Secrets of
Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/257

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2015, 5:00:14 PM2/19/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
When you are in combat, you have vasoconstriction. Your veins and
capillaries don't have nearly as much blood in them. This prevents blood
loss from most wounds, for a little while. It also prevents bruises,
because empty blood vessels don't rupture from blunt-force trauma. Lt.
Col. Dave Grossman, The Bullet Proof Mind seminar (paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/217

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2015, 5:00:10 PM2/20/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
A trainer should never declare his students to be dead, and if a student
ever states that he is dead, the right answer is, "No, you aren't dead! I
don't give you permission to die. I don't train people to die. I train them
to live!" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/19

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2015, 6:30:02 PM2/20/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Think you know this? Why not take a random quiz at
https://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/quiz/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2015, 5:00:07 PM2/21/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
All of us would like to believe that we would not participate in
atrocities. That we could deny our friends and leaders and even turn our
weapons on them if need be. But there are profound processes involved that
prevent such confrontation of peers and leaders in atrocity circumstance.
The first involves group absolution and peer pressure. Lt. Col. Dave
Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/178

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2015, 5:00:09 PM2/22/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The higher the resistance bypassed, the higher the trauma that must be
overcome in the subsequent rationalization process. Killing comes with a
price, and societies must learn that their soldiers will have to spend the
rest of their lives living with what they have done. Lt. Col. Dave
Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/125

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2015, 6:30:03 PM2/22/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2015, 5:00:08 PM2/23/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
United States Army lieutenant colonel Bob Harris explained how Ranger
school had done this for him before going to Vietnam: It is worth
noting that my experiences as a platoon leader convinced me absolutely of
the value of Ranger training. While I didn't have occasion to use all of
the techniques and skills I was taught, I did use many. More important was
the knowledge I had gained of myself in Fort Benning, and in the north
Georgia mountains and in the Florida swamps; the understanding that limits
are mostly in the mind and can be overcome; the knowledge that I could keep
going and be an effective leader in spite of fear, fatigue, and hunger.
Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/112

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2015, 5:00:06 PM2/24/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
We can take responsibility only for the delivery of the shot. There are
many other influences that decide the outcome. When we focus our self-talk
on the outcome instead of on our own performance, we lose sight of just
where we do have control. Self talk must be positive and about the
immediate things that we control. Linda K. Miller and Keith Cunningham,
Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/246

qbz...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2015, 5:00:08 PM2/25/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes we fail. We fail because we do not know how to perform a skill,
because we do not have the physical capacity to do what is asked of us,
because we are not focusing on our job and doing our best, or because we
do not have perfect knowledge. Regardless of the reason, we must identify
what caused us not to be successful, and then fix the problem. People's
lives depend on us, and if we are going to embrace the virtues of honor,
courage, and duty, we must own our mistakes and strive to do our best.
Christopher Brennan, The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/174