Sheepdog Tip of the Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2014, 6:00:10 PM10/30/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The soldier's response to the overtly hostile actions of the enemy is
usually one of profound shock, surprise, and outrage. Countless veterans
echo novelist and Vietnam veteran Philip Caputo's first reaction to enemy
fire in Vietnam. "Why does he want to kill me?" thought Caputo. "What did I
ever do to him?" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/124

qbz...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2014, 6:00:08 PM10/31/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
If we expect to thrive in the chaotic environment of combat, and if we
expect our families to bear up under the strain that a life like this can
bring, we must be prepared; we must strive to be in the ready position. We
must also help our families achieve a comparable resiliency. Christopher
Brennan, The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/147

qbz...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2014, 6:00:07 PM11/1/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Sir John Keegan: There are moral consolations with which battle compensates
the soldier--it would be foolish to deny that there are compensations-for
its cruelties: the thrill of comradeship, the excitements of the chase, the
exhilarations of surprise, deception and ruse de guerre, the exaltations of
success, the sheer fun of prankish irresponsibility. Lt. Col. Dave
Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/85

qbz...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2014, 5:00:07 PM11/2/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Jill Watt is a remarkably perceptive observer who conducted extensive
investigations among the survivors of a small battle to capture Villa
Punta, just days before the end of World War II. In her research she found
that ... it soon became apparent that very often a whole incident, a place
would be blanked from someone's memory, if they believed themselves guilty
of causing a comrade's death or letting their unit down. Most often, they
proved not to be at fault at all. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/17

qbz...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2014, 5:00:07 PM11/3/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
We once heard an interesting story from some of our police students. It was
about an agency that used a whistle blast while training their officers on
the range. Whenever it was time for the firing line to begin firing, they
would blow a whistle, the same kind of whistle that was used by their
traffic cops. So, one day this agency was dealing with an armed subject
barricaded in a house. They have the house secured with armed police
officers on all sides. The situation was tense and everyone was alert.
Nearby, a traffic cop blew his whistle ... and everyone commenced firing.
What you practice in training is what you do under stress. Linda K. Miller
and Keith Cunningham, Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/240

qbz...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2014, 5:00:08 PM11/4/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
In one study it was determined that of American soldiers in Italy in 1944,
31 percent averaged fewer than four hours' sleep a night, and another 54
percent averaged fewer than six. Those individuals with the lower amounts
of sleep were most likely to have come from the frontline units, which is
also where the highest incidence of psychological casualties occurred. Lt.
Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/153

qbz...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2014, 5:00:07 PM11/5/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
A training sergeant from one major western city told me that his city had
been having a significant problem with officers firing far too many shots
with drastically low hit ratios. He said that on the firing range his
officers could get around 90 percent hits, but on the street they were
lucky to hit with 20 percent of the bullets fired. When the sergeant was
ordered to call major police departments around the country to see if
others were having the same problem, he found that the vast majority of
departments were. One agency called it the "metro spray." He also found
that a small minority of departments had fixed the problem and were getting
over a 90 percent hit ratio in real, life-and-death shooting events. The
California Highway Patrol, Salt Lake City P.D., Toledo P.D. and other
pioneers across America are now reporting extraordinary hit rates, while
firing very few rounds. One of the key distinguishing characteristics that
differentiates these departments from others is their training. In
particular, in-service training that provides stress inoculation with paint
bullets or some other kind of force-on-force training with marking
capsules. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/2

qbz...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2014, 5:00:06 PM11/6/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Marshall noted that even in situations where there were several riflemen
together in a position facing an advancing enemy, only one was likely to
fire while the others would tend to such "vital" tasks as running messages,
providing ammo, tending wounded, and spotting targets. Marshall makes it
clear that in most cases the firers were aware of the large body of
nonfirers around them. The inaction of these passive individuals did not
seem to have a demoralizing effect on actual firers. To the contrary, the
presence of the nonfirers seemed to enable the firers to keep going. Lt.
Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/114

qbz...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2014, 6:30:03 PM11/6/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Think you know this? Why not take a random quiz at
https://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/quiz/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2014, 5:01:12 PM11/7/14
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
One additional new development is the use of combat stress inoculation
through force-on-force paint bullet training, which has been addressed
previously. There is tentative evidence that would lead us to believe that
this has reduced the fear-induced spray-and-pray response and increased law
enforcement hit rates (as opposed to firing rates) from around 20 percent
to approximately 90 percent. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/64