Sheepdog Tip of the Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 6:00:07 PM4/17/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
As Keith is fond of saying, "a plan is a common point from which to make
changes." The power of the plan is that it tells you what the delta is
between what you originally had in mind and the reality you now face. It
gives you a measure of the correction you need to apply to your course in
order to meet your destination. There are two key types of planning: goal
setting (and the resource/logistics planning to support the goal) and
contingency planning (what to do when the first plan isn't working). Linda
K. Miller and Keith Cunningham, Secrets of Mental Marksmanship
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/255

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 6:00:07 PM4/18/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
In a hostage situation, a fire hose can knock the criminal and the hostage
off their feet with nobody getting hurt. The fire hose can disrupt the
bomb. It can set off the trip-wire and put out the fire the bomb could
start. Your friends in the fire department can help, especially if you
coordinate with them ahead of time. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, The Bullet
Proof Mind seminar (paraphrased) Note: Feedback from a fellow sheepdog
(Chuck Van Meter): Most squad cars carry some chemical weapons in their
trunk additionally SWAT and ERU teams bring the full repertoire of grenades
for their disposal. 1. OC/CS grenades 2. Smoke grenades 3. Flash Bang
grenades 4. Stingball grenades Gas projectors such as S&W 37mm are
valuable tools in projecting chemical weapons and denying operating areas
to rioters. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman: Great input. Others may disagree
with you, but we should consider all options. Many police cars do not have
all the goodies you mention in their trunk (although they should!) and you
make an excellent point about the fire-hose attached to a standpipe.
But the hose attached to a fire truck or a fire hydrant is a completely
different critter. In one incident, a SWAT team commander told me he was
faced with a hostage situation where a man had soaked his trailer-home,
wife and kids in kerosene, and was at the front door holding them hostage
with a gun and a lighter. The SWAT commander used the fire hose from a fire
truck and, "Blew the guy out the back side of his trailer-home!" He had the
firefighters operating the hose covered by cops with shields. He said the
only problem was the fire guys didn't want to turn the hose up to full
power, so he walked over to the fire engine and cranked it up to full power
himself. No one died that day because of this innovative tactical
commander Again, you make a great point, every situation is different,
and we must consider all options available. But the point here is to keep
the fire hose in mind as a great potential resource. Stay staunch!
Dave Christopher Brennan (firefighting author and trainer): A
hoseline pumped from a fire engine has the ability to knock someone around
like a rag doll. Also, fire departments pretty much have legal authority to
refuse to use fire hoses on demonstrators and deny the police the right to
do so ever since the freedom marches in the 1960's. We might do it to
protect ourselves, but we are way more likely to just leave the area.
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/98

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2015, 6:00:11 PM4/19/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Authors Judith Acosta and Judith Simon Prager have lead the way to a
different response with their book, The Worst is Over: What to Say When
Every Moment Counts. Although there is much of value in the book, for our
purposes here, the title pretty much says it all. In their book Acosta and
Prager tell us that: An altered state is like fertile soil. We can either
plant healthy seeds that grow into fruit-producing plants, we can let the
weeds overrun it, or we can let erosion wash it away in the storm. We can
either say and do nothing, use our words and our presence to heal, or use
our words to harm. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/93

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2015, 6:00:09 PM4/20/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
As Dr. Paul Whitesell puts it: "Do not destroy yourself over the bad days.
Take pride in your good ones and strive to constantly improve." While it is
acceptable to have a bad day, it is unacceptable not to train, not to try
to get better, not to use the resources available to make sure that what
caused that bad day never happens to you again. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On
Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/48

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2015, 7:36:53 PM4/20/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Think you know this? Why not take a random quiz at
https://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/quiz/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2015, 6:00:08 PM4/21/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Milgram's famous studies of killing behavior in laboratory conditions (the
willingness of subjects to engage in behavior that they believed was
killing a fellow subject) identified three primary situational variables
that influence or enable killing behavior; in this model I have called
these (1) the demands of authority, (2) group absolution (remarkably
similar to the concept of diffusion of responsibility), and (3) the
distance from the victim. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/166

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2015, 6:00:08 PM4/22/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
The concept of drill had its roots in the harsh lessons of military success
on battlefields dating back to the Greek phalanx. Such drill was perfected
by the Romans. Then, as firing drill, it was turned into a science by
Frederick the Great and then mass produced by Napoleon. Today we understand
the enormous power of drill to condition and program a soldier. J. Glenn
Gray, in his book The Warriors, states that while soldiers may become
exhausted and "enter into a dazed condition in which all sharpness of
consciousness is lost" they can still "function like cells in a military
organism, doing what is expected of them because it has become
automatic. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/110

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2015, 6:00:07 PM4/23/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
One key characteristic of a great military leader is an ability to draw
from the tremendous depths of fortitude within his own well, and in doing
so he is fortifying his own men by permitting them to draw from his
well. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Killing
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/127

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2015, 6:00:07 PM4/24/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Tactical decision making is a complex process that is a synthesis of your
experience, your training, your situational awareness, and your comfort
level. The physical and psychological stresses of firefighting impact
every one of us differently, and they need to be addressed separately.
Christopher Brennan, The Combat Position: Achieving Firefighter Readiness
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/Before%20Combat/172

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2015, 7:30:05 PM4/24/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2015, 6:00:06 PM4/25/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
Pearl, Mississippi. A 17-year-old kid walks along a hallway in Pearl High
School gunning down other students. The vice-principal has a .45 automatic
in his car (a federal offense, though no one has ever pressed charges) and
runs out to the parking lot to retrieve it. A moment later, this educator
stands face-to-face with the kid, pointing his gun at the young man, and
says, "Stop!" Amazingly, the kid stops. A 17-year-old crazed mass murderer
with a loaded gun in his hand is ordered to stop shooting people, and he
does. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/During%20Combat/88

qbz...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2015, 6:00:08 PM4/26/15
to sheepdogt...@googlegroups.com
If your buddy died to save you, don't you dare have survivor guilt. Don't
waste the life you've been given at such a high cost. Lt. Col. Dave
Grossman, The Bullet Proof Mind seminar (paraphrased)
http://tipyomi-sender.appspot.com/showtip/Sheepdog%20Tip%20of%20the%20Day/After%20Combat/46