Google Code and Gitorious closing

Jérémie Roquet

Mar 16, 2015, 7:25:11 AM3/16/15
to shedskin-discuss
Hi Mark,

As you may know, both Google Code and Gitorious are closing in the
coming months, following Google's decision to stop the former and
Gitlab's acquisition of the latter.

I'd really like to see shedskin survive the twilight of its hosts, so
I'm proposing my help to migrate it to a new one.

There are lots of candidates for hosting, the most prominent ones
being Github (where there are already some forks of shedskin) and
Bitbucket. There's also Gitlab, which is similar to Gitorious in being
open-source (even if, AFAIK, the hosted version is not the open-source
edition).

Do you have any plans, preferences or reserves for a migration?

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

Farz Hem

Mar 19, 2015, 3:22:39 PM3/19/15
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com, shedskin-discuss

In case Mark doesn't get back to us by the end of the month, I'll volunteer to handle the migration of the code, issues, etc to github. Hopefully he does get back to us, but incremental static type analysis is something that is even more important now. Python 3 has optional type annotations to make the work of things like the shedskin decorator easier.

Farz

Mark Dufour

Mar 27, 2015, 10:49:18 AM3/27/15
to shedskin-discuss
hi all,

sorry for the late response. as is probably clear, I haven't done much work on shedskin for the past year or so. the major reasons probably being that I'm now a father of two little kids, I found myself an open source job (zarafa.com), my wife started working full-time, and there just hasn't been much feedback to act upon.. and all of that kind of happening at the same time.

in any case, help with migrating the source code (and I guess the documentation) elsewhere would be very much appreciated. I will happily let the person(s) doing the migration decide on where the main repository should be located. but I guess most people would currently prefer it to be on github, right..?

as for future development, it's hard for me to say if I will ever put in lots of time again. shedskin does what I set out to make it do, and unfortunately it turns out this generates little interest/feedback from the wider python community. but I guess I'm still interested in working on it occasionally, when the right trigger occurs..

for example, when I run across an awesome python program like the following, I wish I had time to start refactoring it for compilation right away (it's a bit like my examples/go.py but probably much, much stronger):

https://github.com/pasky/michi

cheers and thanks!
mark.

--
Jérémie

Jérémie Roquet

Mar 27, 2015, 11:40:40 AM3/27/15
to shedskin-discuss
Hi! :)

> sorry for the late response. as is probably clear, I haven't done much work
> on shedskin for the past year or so. the major reasons probably being that
> I'm now a father of two little kids, I found myself an open source job
> (zarafa.com), my wife started working full-time, and there just hasn't been
> much feedback to act upon.. and all of that kind of happening at the same
> time.

Congratulations, Mark! I wish you all the best (maybe a few month
late, but whatever :p).

> in any case, help with migrating the source code (and I guess the
> documentation) elsewhere would be very much appreciated. I will happily let
> the person(s) doing the migration decide on where the main repository should
> be located. but I guess most people would currently prefer it to be on
> github, right..?

That's the most straightforward solution, I think. Google code even
advertises for one-click migration to Github.

So, I've created a “shedskin” organization there, and set Mark,
Fahrzin and Thomas as owners. Thomas was so quick to move his clone to
the organization, I haven't even had the time to migrate anything :D
That's a good thing, because his clone already had some forks that are
now linked to the organization's.

There's still some work to migrate the documentation and I'll work on
it in in the coming weeks. Any help is welcome :)

> as for future development, it's hard for me to say if I will ever put in
> lots of time again. shedskin does what I set out to make it do, and
> unfortunately it turns out this generates little interest/feedback from the
> wider python community. but I guess I'm still interested in working on it
> occasionally, when the right trigger occurs..

Shedskin certainly deserves more recognition, in my opinion, as for
raw speed, I know nothing that even comes close to it :-)

> for example, when I run across an awesome python program like the following,
> I wish I had time to start refactoring it for compilation right away (it's a
> bit like my examples/go.py but probably much, much stronger):
>
> https://github.com/pasky/michi

That indeed would make a nice sample :-)

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

Thomas Spura

Mar 27, 2015, 12:07:25 PM3/27/15
Farz Hem <fah...@gmail.com> schrieb am Do., 19. März 2015 um 20:22 Uhr:

In case Mark doesn't get back to us by the end of the month, I'll volunteer to handle the migration of the code, issues, etc to github. Hopefully he does get back to us, but incremental static type analysis is something that is even more important now. Python 3 has optional type annotations to make the work of things like the shedskin decorator easier.

The repository on github should now be in line with the one on gitorius. Could the one on gitorius then maybe be deleted, so we can start using the one on github from now on without conflicts between those two?

The only issue on gitorius seems to be:

@Jérémie: Could you maybe open the same issue on github for that merge request -> pull request?

Greetings,
   Thomas

Jérémie Roquet

Mar 27, 2015, 12:15:24 PM3/27/15
to shedskin-discuss
The (proposed) new repo is https://github.com/shedskin/shedskin . Feel
free to comment :-)

Here's what we still have to do (please complete if you see anything missing):
- Migrate Google Code issues to Github issues (I'm working on it)
- Migrate the documentation from Google Code's wiki to Github's wiki
- Find a place to put the binaries (any idea?)
- Tell people about the new repo, as there are 562 followers on
Google Code and a few forks on Gitorious :/ Maybe a blog post?

> The only issue on gitorius seems to be:
> https://gitorious.org/shedskin/mainline/merge_requests/1
>
> @Jérémie: Could you maybe open the same issue on github for that merge
> request -> pull request?

Actually, it has been merged already:
https://github.com/shedskin/shedskin/commit/88e741ca2c6632c38198e57aea719de1f8230f13

--
Jérémie

Jérémie Roquet

Mar 27, 2015, 1:07:14 PM3/27/15
to shedskin-discuss
> - Find a place to put the binaries (any idea?)

I didn't know, but GitHub has a feature called “Releases” for this:

https://help.github.com/articles/creating-releases/

So we only have to push a tag on the last release (if anybody knows
which one it is…) and upload the binary.

--
Jérémie

Mark Dufour

Mar 27, 2015, 5:31:26 PM3/27/15
to shedskin-discuss
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Jérémie Roquet <jro...@arkanosis.net> wrote:
The (proposed) new repo is https://github.com/shedskin/shedskin . Feel
free to comment :-)

Here's what we still have to do (please complete if you see anything missing):
 - Migrate Google Code issues to Github issues (I'm working on it)
 - Migrate the documentation from Google Code's wiki to Github's wiki
 - Find a place to put the binaries (any idea?)
 - Tell people about the new repo, as there are 562 followers on
Google Code and a few forks on Gitorious :/ Maybe a blog post?

thanks for your efforts!

I'd be happy to blog about this migration on the 'official' shedskin blog once most things are migrated. and to help out with the migration itself if still necessary in about a week from now.

mark.

Jérémie Roquet

Mar 28, 2015, 11:04:55 AM3/28/15
to shedskin-discuss
Here's some news,

> - Migrate Google Code issues to Github issues (I'm working on it)

I've spent a few hours on this and it's almost working. Here's an
example output :
https://github.com/IssueMigrationTest/Test4/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed

I'm having issues with migrating all the issues at once (the Github
API keeps sending me random HTTP errors) and I've not managed to
figure out why. I suspect it's related to the current Github outage
(it's being DDOS-ed for hours), so I'll try again later.

Once I manage to do a full run, this point should be ok.

> - Find a place to put the binaries (any idea?)

I've made a full backup of all the 115 binaries available on Google
Code. Now, I've to figure out which git revision was used for each of
them to push the appropriate tags and upload the associated releases
on Github. I'll probably look for the sha256sum of shedskin.py across
all changesets to find out. If anyone has a better idea, please let me
know :-)

If you want to backup the binaries too, here's a one-liner:
wget -q 'https://code.google.com/p/shedskin/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename%20Summary%20Uploaded%20ReleaseDate%20Size%20DownloadCount&num=120&start=0'
-O - | sed -n 's@.*"\(//shedskin.googlecode.com/files/[^"]*\).*@https:\1@p'
| while read file; do wget $file; done

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

Jérémie Roquet

Mar 30, 2015, 6:24:19 PM3/30/15
to shedskin-discuss
Hello everyone,

This has been surprisingly more complex than expected, but I've
finally managed to migrate all the issues from Google Code to Github.

Now, I'm trying to push the tags and upload the releases to Github.

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

Jérémie Roquet

Apr 5, 2015, 10:53:59 PM4/5/15
to shedskin-discuss
Hello everyone,

> Now, I'm trying to push the tags and upload the releases to Github.

I've pushed the tags for every release available to download on Google
Code, except for 0.0.25, 0.0.26 and 0.0.26-2, since they are older
than the first svn commit in the git history.

I'm now slowly uploading the binaries in the Github releases
associated to these tags. v0.9.4 is already available for download.
For the missing tags, I might end up pushing headless changesets with
the right tags, so that no released is lost during the migration.

I've also created a new repo
(https://github.com/shedskin/shedskin.github.io) to host the new home
page. This has many advantages over Github's wiki and no downside I
can think of. For now, it's only a partial and raw import of the HTML
of Google Code, but the idea is to have the content in Markdown
rendered using Jekyll, which will enable us to build a nice homepage
without much work.

The proposed URL for the home page is be http://shedskin.github.io/ .
Granted, there's some work to be done on the design side ;-)

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

Mark Dufour

Apr 7, 2015, 3:47:58 PM4/7/15
to shedskin-discuss
hi jeremie,

thanks for all your hard work! it all looks good to me, including the homepage.. ;-)

looking forward to using the new infrastructure once the need arises (still hoping to have a good look at that go player, but unfortunately without the prospect of actually having time for this soon..)

cheers,
mark.

--
Jérémie

Jérémie Roquet

Apr 14, 2015, 7:58:01 AM4/14/15
to shedskin-discuss
Hello everyone,

I've now finished creating the releases on Github. I've pushed two
orphan tags for the 0.0.26 and 0.0.25 releases and uploaded a total of
84 binaries. That's less than the 115 binaries that were available on
Google Code, since I've decided not to upload the ones that were later
replaced by a “-1” or “-2” variant for a given release. Let me know if
you'd prefer me to upload the remaining 31 obsolete binaries as well,
otherwise I've no intent to do it, as I think it may cause confusion
with no obvious advantage.

You might have noticed that I've set a short tagline for the Github
repo that is less precise than the former one (“Shed Skin is a Python
to C++ compiler. […]”); that's because Github truncates this tagline
after a few characters in some places and that short one allows the
reader to have an idea of what Shed Skin actually does. Let me know if
you disagree with this change.

The remaining tasks I can think of are:
- upload the remaining documentation on http://shedskin.github.io/;
- let people know about the new homepage;
- update links to the homepage where possible.

Hopefully, that should be finished before Gitorious' shutdown at the
end of May and well before Google Code becomes read-only on the 24th
of August.

That would be great to also migrate the homepage from HTML to Markdown
and to leverage Jekyll at some point, as well as setting up a decent
skin, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to do this myself in the
near future.

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

Farz Hemmati

May 5, 2015, 10:27:33 AM5/5/15
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I'm doing a little cleanup on github with Thomas. If anybody wants to join in, we're doing bigger changes via Pull Requests. I'm doing smaller commits directly to master, but if we want to go with a more PR-oriented workflow that's good with me.

Best,
Farz

Best regards,

--