Adding shedskin dependancies to linux package

Moataz Elmasry

May 26, 2013, 11:32:45 AM5/26/13
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
Hello list

When I tried to install shedskin from my ubuntu package manager it showed me that it only needs libgc-dev to install. But as we know that shedskin also needs the packages:
g++, libpcre++dev and python-all-dev. Whoever maintaining the linux distros packages, won't it make sense to make shedskin package depend on these packages?

Cheers,
Moataz

srepmub

Jun 2, 2013, 4:09:47 PM6/2/13
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
hi moataz,

I asked Paul Boddie, who maintains the Debian package. his reply:

In the Debian package, various things are "Recommends" not "Depends" due to
Python packaging policy:

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/shedskin

The recommended packages are not actually needed to run shedskin on Python
programs and generate C++ code, but some of them are obviously needed if you
want to build that C++ code, and others will be brought in with the second
set so that you can run that code.

Originally, I had these extra things as dependencies and was told not to do
that, so I stopped doing that, of course. :-)

thanks for asking!
mark.