Shed Skin on Read the Docs

Jérémie Roquet

Oct 28, 2015, 7:29:55 AM10/28/15
to shedskin-discuss
Hi everyone,

I've boostraped a new repository¹ to put some documentation for Shed
Skin on ReadTheDocs². That's only to play with the documentation in
rst, for now, but if it gives interesting results, we might consider
moving the current documentation (which at the moment is a basic
scraping of the html from Google code) there.

Best regards,

¹ https://github.com/shedskin/documentation
² https://shedskin.readthedocs.org/

--
Jérémie

Jérémie Roquet

Oct 31, 2015, 10:05:57 PM10/31/15
to shedskin-discuss
Hi everyone,

> I've boostraped a new repository¹ to put some documentation for Shed
> Skin on ReadTheDocs². That's only to play with the documentation in
> rst, for now, but if it gives interesting results, we might consider
> moving the current documentation (which at the moment is a basic
> scraping of the html from Google code) there.

I've just finished migrating the documentation to ReadTheDocs¹, and
have updated a few links at the same time.

I quite like the result, since it's rendered using Sphinx which is
pretty much the de factor standard for Python documentation, is rather
nice (that's subjective, I know) and it handles both
internationalization, versions (eg. there's a “stable” documentation
associated with the v0.9.4 tag²) as well as rendering to PDF and ePub.
Anyway, that's definitely better than the “static” version scrapped
from Google Code and currently hosted of Github Pages³.

If nobody opposes, I suggest we use this as the official documentation
from now on. We'd only have to update the link on the front page and
setup a redirect from the old URL⁴.

As always now, the code is on Github⁵ :-)

Best regards,

¹ https://shedskin.readthedocs.org/
² http://shedskin.readthedocs.org/en/stable/
³ https://shedskin.github.io/docs/
https://github.com/shedskin/shedskin/issues/221
https://github.com/shedskin/documentation

--
Jérémie

Fahrzin Hemmati

Nov 1, 2015, 3:44:54 AM11/1/15
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
Looks good to me!

However, could we use the same repository for the documentation? I've done that for another project and it's easier to update a feature and the docs in the same commit or pull request that way. (Sorry that I didn't respond to the first email, I didn't realize it was a new git repo)

--
Jérémie

Jérémie Roquet

Nov 2, 2015, 6:05:26 AM11/2/15
to shedskin-discuss
Hi Fahrzin,

> Looks good to me!
>
> However, could we use the same repository for the documentation? I've done that for another project and it's easier to update a feature and the docs in the same commit or pull request that way. (Sorry that I didn't respond to the first email, I didn't realize it was a new git repo)

Yeah, makes perfect sense! I'll merge the two repositories together ;-)

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

Jérémie Roquet

Nov 2, 2015, 8:02:49 PM11/2/15
to shedskin-discuss
Merged! And I've updated the links to the new URL.

I realize that this means that we no longer load resources (CSS, JS…)
from Google's servers, especially Google Code's, which is an added
benefit from this migration.

Let me know if you see anything to improve on.

PS1: I see that GitHub handles redirections using an HTTP/200 and the
HTML http-equiv meta, which is kind of unfortunate since an HTTP/301
would have been (IMHO) cleaner… Let's say people won't arrive on
/docs/ anyway, now.

PS2: Also, there's the old /doc/ subdirectory of the shedskin
repository which we could maybe remove now that we have the /docs/
subdirectory with all the documentation in it. If someone has an idea
of what we should keep from it… (maybe the man generation?)

PS3: I just remember that we still have to migrate the FOD (frequently
occuring discussions), MSVC, Release Notes and Easy Tasks pages from
the Google Code wiki. While Easy Tasks naturally belongs to GitHub
issues (see #220¹), we might want to put the other pages in the
documentation on ReadTheDocs rather than on the website on GitHub.io
like I initially thought…

Best regards,

¹ https://github.com/shedskin/shedskin/issues/220

--
Jérémie

RCU

Nov 4, 2015, 6:50:13 AM11/4/15
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com, jro...@arkanosis.net
Hi.
In case this helps, I OCRed the PDF documentation of ShedSkin from 2006 - you can
find it at https://sites.google.com/site/alexsusu/myfilecabinet/shedskin_OCRed.pdf . Let
me know if I can help with something here.
IIRC, Mark Dufour said on this list he doesn't have anymore the LaTeX code that
produced this PDF .

Best regards,
Alex

Jérémie Roquet

Nov 4, 2015, 11:33:06 AM11/4/15
to shedskin-discuss
Hi Alex,

> In case this helps, I OCRed the PDF documentation of ShedSkin from 2006
> - you can find it at
> https://sites.google.com/site/alexsusu/myfilecabinet/shedskin_OCRed.pdf .
> Let me know if I can help with something here.
> IIRC, Mark Dufour said on this list he doesn't have anymore the LaTeX
> code that produced this PDF .

That's great, thank you!

We should put more things on the website, including this, for sure —
and there's probably some content from this that we could add in the
documentation as well.

Best regards,

--
Jérémie