Does shedskin uses Vanilla version of Boehm GC ?

Rahul R

Jun 22, 2013, 4:00:00 PM6/22/13
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Guys,

I am Rahul have lately become interested in python optimizations. I very much liked the shedskin project and was wondering on how shedskin uses the Boehm Garbage collector into it ?

Thanks,
./Rahul

Mark Dufour

Jun 26, 2013, 5:47:35 AM6/26/13
to shedskin-discuss
hi rahul,

we use the vanilla boehm gc, via a mixture of calls to its interface:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gcinterface.html

the shedskin versions of the python builtins (as well as generated classes) inherit from the 'gc' class. the STL classes which shedskin uses to implement several builtins are used in combination with the 'gc_allocator' allocator. in some places we also use GC_MALLOC and GC_MALLOC_ATOMIC.

so everything is garbage collected through the boehm gc at the moment, except for scalars of course. we don't use smart pointers/reference counting, escape analysis or anything (though I'd be very interested if someone would like to work on the latter).

thanks,
mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6LsfnBmdnk