Shed Skin 0.2

srepmub

Jul 15, 2009, 3:26:44 PM7/15/09
to shedskin-discuss
hi all,

I have just uploaded the packages for Shed Skin 0.2. before I announce
the new release more widely, please test it and let me know if I
messed up anything..

there have been quite a few optimizations, fixes, and cleanups since
the last release, and there are no less than 7 new example programs
(one of which is Disco, the go player I have started working on). as
usual, more details about the release can be found here:

http://code.google.com/p/shedskin/wiki/ReleaseNotes

thanks!
mark.

Zahari Zahariev

Jul 15, 2009, 4:30:44 PM7/15/09
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

I downloaded the DEB package and I couldn't install it with "GDebi Package Installer" (Ubuntu 8.10)  the error is that "python-central" is not satisfiable. I went in Synaptic and that package was installed and is version 0.6.

Please let me know if I do something wrong because i really find ShedSkin to be a great tool!

Kind regards,

        --Zahari

Paul Boddie

Jul 15, 2009, 7:16:47 PM7/15/09
to shedskin-discuss
On 15 Jul, 22:30, Zahari Zahariev <zahari.zahar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I downloaded the DEB package and I couldn't install it with "GDebi Package
> Installer" (Ubuntu 8.10)  the error is that "python-central" is not
> satisfiable. I went in Synaptic and that package was installed and is
> version 0.6.
>
> Please let me know if I do something wrong because i really find ShedSkin to
> be a great tool!

I'm the original packaging assistant to Mark, and so my name is on the
Debian packaging. I've just taken a look at the package and I don't
have a recent enough python-central (0.6.7ubuntu0.1 vs. 0.6.11),
either. I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 which may be a bit behind the latest
stable Debian release.

Maybe we can insist on an earlier python-central version unless some
new stuff is being used in the packaging files. I've also noticed that
the package contains some .svn directories, so I recommend that when
building the package an "export" of the project is used, rather than a
working directory. (Some people would recommend pbuilder, but I'm too
lazy for that, myself.)

Congratulations on the 0.2 release, Mark!

Paul

P.S. Although some of my own packages have made it into Debian, I
might try and get Shed Skin uploaded to the Debian mentors service and
hopefully adopted so that one won't need to manually download the
package any more for future Debian/Ubuntu releases.

Zahari Zahariev

Jul 16, 2009, 1:11:23 AM7/16/09
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I have used previous ShedSkin DEB packages but I never had such problem. Everything seemed to be pretty straight forward. I believe I will not be th only one that won't have luck with the new DEB package.

Cheers!

Paul Boddie

Jul 16, 2009, 6:50:17 AM7/16/09
to shedskin-discuss
On 16 Jul, 07:11, Zahari Zahariev <zahari.zahar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used previous ShedSkin DEB packages but I never had such problem.
> Everything seemed to be pretty straight forward. I believe I will not be th
> only one that won't have luck with the new DEB package.

Having looked at the Debian and Ubuntu repository information, python-
central 0.6.11 seems to be used in Debian testing and unstable as well
as in Ubuntu 9.04 and the unreleased 9.10. Maybe a less recent
version, such as 0.6.7, would be acceptable instead.

Paul

Mark Dufour

Jul 16, 2009, 3:59:55 PM7/16/09
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
thanks guys!

> Having looked at the Debian and Ubuntu repository information, python-
> central 0.6.11 seems to be used in Debian testing and unstable as well
> as in Ubuntu 9.04 and the unreleased 9.10. Maybe a less recent
> version, such as 0.6.7, would be acceptable instead.

yes, I built it on 9.04.. any idea where I can best change this? I see
a 'python-central >= 0.5.6' in debian/control (strangely), and >=
0.6.11 in debian/shedskin.substvars, but I think that one is
generated?

thanks,
mark.
--
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code"
- Ken Thompson

Mark Dufour

Jul 16, 2009, 4:07:07 PM7/16/09
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
> P.S. Although some of my own packages have made it into Debian, I
> might try and get Shed Skin uploaded to the Debian mentors service and
> hopefully adopted so that one won't need to manually download the
> package any more for future Debian/Ubuntu releases.

that would be great, as I have no idea what I'm doing building the
debian package.. :)

Paul Boddie

Jul 17, 2009, 8:25:21 AM7/17/09
to shedskin-discuss
On 16 Jul, 21:59, Mark Dufour <mark.duf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> yes, I built it on 9.04.. any idea where I can best change this? I see
> a 'python-central >= 0.5.6' in debian/control (strangely), and >=
> 0.6.11 in debian/shedskin.substvars, but I think that one is
> generated?

I didn't think that debian/control got rewritten for the generated
package, but maybe that's something I've overlooked in the past. How
are you generating the package? Something like...?

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

Paul

Mark Dufour

Jul 17, 2009, 3:16:49 PM7/17/09
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
> I didn't think that debian/control got rewritten for the generated
> package, but maybe that's something I've overlooked in the past. How
> are you generating the package? Something like...?
>
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

yes, exacly.. :)

I just tried to change control and shedskin.substvars, but of course
that didn't help..

Paul Boddie

Jul 17, 2009, 6:48:10 PM7/17/09
to shedskin-discuss
On 17 Jul, 21:16, Mark Dufour <mark.duf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I didn't think that debian/control got rewritten for the generated
> > package, but maybe that's something I've overlooked in the past. How
> > are you generating the package? Something like...?
>
> > dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>
> yes, exacly.. :)
>
> I just tried to change control and shedskin.substvars, but of course
> that didn't help..

Right. I suppose I never built packages for any distribution other
than my own. This feature may come in handy later on, however, since
I've previously updated version numbers by hand, and now I can just
recycle what the tools discover for themselves.

Anyway, I've just experimented with a chroot for Debian Lenny (stable)
and managed to build a package with more reasonable dependencies, so I
suppose one solution would be to either tell you how to do this in a
more reasonable fashion or for me to upload some packages for the time
being.

Paul

Paul Boddie

Jul 17, 2009, 7:11:47 PM7/17/09
to shedskin-discuss
On 18 Jul, 00:48, Paul Boddie <p...@boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> Anyway, I've just experimented with a chroot for Debian Lenny (stable)
> and managed to build a package with more reasonable dependencies, so I
> suppose one solution would be to either tell you how to do this in a
> more reasonable fashion or for me to upload some packages for the time
> being.

I should also mention that the changelog file didn't seem to be up-to-
date. I can send a patch to fix this, too. Right now, I'm looking into
compiling examples (which I don't think are packaged) and thinking
about making the C++ compiler invocation a bit easier. I thought that
the shedskin script could call g++ for me, but perhaps it doesn't do
such things.

Paul

Paul Boddie

Jul 17, 2009, 7:14:11 PM7/17/09
to shedskin-discuss
On 18 Jul, 01:11, Paul Boddie <p...@boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> I thought that the shedskin script could call g++ for me, but perhaps it doesn't do
> such things.

I've just noticed the Makefile produced for me in the examples
directory. It's been a long day, I guess. ;-)

Paul

Mark Dufour

Jul 18, 2009, 5:23:48 AM7/18/09
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com
> I should also mention that the changelog file didn't seem to be up-to-
> date. I can send a patch to fix this, too.

sorry, I forgot to commit my changes to SVN. I just committed
changelog, shedskin.1 and shedskin.install (removed backward.py).

could you please build a package with these files, and send it to me
for now? I'm always a bit burned out after a release, so that would be
much appreciated!

thanks for looking into this,

Paul Boddie

Jul 18, 2009, 9:31:49 AM7/18/09
to shedskin-discuss
On 18 Jul, 11:23, Mark Dufour <mark.duf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I should also mention that the changelog file didn't seem to be up-to-
> > date. I can send a patch to fix this, too.
>
> sorry, I forgot to commit my changes to SVN. I just committed
> changelog, shedskin.1 and shedskin.install (removed backward.py).
>
> could you please build a package with these files, and send it to me
> for now? I'm always a bit burned out after a release, so that would be
> much appreciated!

I'll give it a shot. We can always upload fixed packages later on. ;-)

Paul

Paul Boddie

Jul 18, 2009, 5:23:35 PM7/18/09
to shedskin-discuss
Right, I've made a package available here:

http://packages.boddie.org.uk/dists/lenny/paul/binary-i386/shedskin_0.2-0ubuntu1_all.deb

For the brave amongst you, there's a repository you can use with
details here:

http://packages.boddie.org.uk/

Feel free to copy the package and the other files to the Google Code
project site.

Paul

Mark Dufour

Jul 19, 2009, 9:45:19 AM7/19/09
to shedskin...@googlegroups.com

thanks! I will upload it to the googlecode site, and announce 0.2 then..

thanks for the help!