Re: STLPub Daily: How Ferguson's past shaped troubled city today

1 view

Carol Iglauer

Aug 4, 2015, 9:06:52 PM8/4/15
to Samuel C. and Mary C. Pearson, Shawtalk
Thanks for your thoughtful response, Sam.

Carol

On 8/4/2015 7:03 PM, Samuel C. and Mary C. Pearson wrote:

Dear Carol,

While I did not know the Ferguson history in detail, I knew it in general because of the fact that from 1964 to 1974 we lived in Alton, and we drove weekly to UACC through the North side of St. Louis, generally along Halls Ferry to the traffic circle, then down to Goodfellow, and on to UACC, sometimes cutting over I 70 to Union and driving south to the church.  Every Sunday we passed Northside H. S. When we arrived in Alton, Northside High School was virtually all white; a decade later it was probably 99% black.  The change was obvious from week to week.  Whites moved to poor county suburbs like St. Ann or to cheap housing in far west county, and blacks moved west from the city.  Wondrous to behold.  Pruitt Igoe blew up.  Corrupt white politicians were replaced by corrupt black politicians.  Quality of life for all generally declined if possible.  Three cheers for the American way of life.  In 1974, having looked at Mill Creek and other options, we moved to U. City because it seemed to be committed to maintaining racial diversity.  It has done so in housing, but not in schools.  We do seem to have a decent police force from which St. Louis City and other suburbs could learn much if they cared to.  Probably don't.

Sam
Samuel C. Pearson
Professor Emeritus of Historical Studies
Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
Edwardsville, IL  62026
http://www.siue.edu/~spearso
spe...@siue.edu
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 13:49:20 -0700
From: St. Louis Public Radio <en...@stlpublicradio.org>
To: CAR...@MINDSPRING.COM

Email not displaying beautifully? Try viewing our web version instead.

Today's Top Stories
Ferguson's

                                                    yesterdays
 offer
                                                    clues
 to the
                                                    troubled
 city of

                                                    today
PERSPECTIVE
The photo is an iconic image of post-World War II America: A bustling downtown main street lined with sturdy Chevys, Fords and Chryslers. Pedestrians strolling past a hodgepodge of storefronts with flashy light-up signs: Barbays Self-Service Market, King Drugs, Florsheim shoes, Coca Cola.
Ferguson,
                                                      one
 year
 later:

                                                      What’s
                                                      changed

 for you?
JUSTICE
The shooting death of Michael Brown on Aug. 9, 2014, by a police officer in Ferguson brought the eyes of the world to St. Louis. But it’s the people who live in the St. Louis area who were impacted most directly.
Local TV
                                                        icon
 Robin

                                                        Smith sets
 next
                                                        sights
 on

                                                        statewide
                                                        office
POLITICS
Amid their hunt for a bunch of statewide candidates, Missouri Democrats now have at least one well-known contender for secretary of state:  former KMOV reporter Robin Smith.

Other News

On the Trail: Some worry Dempsey's departure is an end to the 'Old Senate'
The imminent departure of Senate President Pro Tem Tom Dempsey amounts to an end of an era for the Missouri General Assembly, at least for Missouri Public Service Commissioner Scott Rupp.

Cherokee Street Reach pushes art as tool for developing life skills
Last year a group of artists got together to form an arts camp. Initially they wanted to provide a place for kids to spend time between the end of traditional summer camps and the start of the new school year.

Reflection: From 'Rigoletto's' dark welter of decay, contrast offers a path to goodness
Musicologists have had a field day divvying up the operas of the towering Italian genius Giuseppe Verdi. “Rigoletto†-- performed this weekend with artistic muscle and dramatic agility by Union Avenue Opera – is pigeonholed in his middle period, along with  Il trovatore and La traviata.

Ferguson churches hope new center will serve as an 'incubator' for justice
Two Ferguson churches are teaming up to create an "incubator" for racial and economic justice. St. Stephen’s Episcopal and Wellspring churches are launching the Center for Social Empowerment and Justice with a week of workshops leading up to the anniversary of the death of Michael Brown on Sunday, Aug. 9.

Blunt highlights veterans' medical care during visit to Jefferson Barracks
After stopping at the VA medical center in Jefferson Barracks, U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., said he continues to be concerned about the long waiting lists of veterans seeking treatment.

For more news, visit stlpublicradio.org

Click
                                                      to Donate

Listen. Support. Sustain.
You hear the difference on St. Louis Public Radio. Radio that is smart, insightful and worth your time. Your support makes it all possible.

>> Click here to donate

www.stlpublicradio.org

3651 Olive Street   ÃŽâ„¢   St. Louis, MO 63108   ÃŽâ„¢   Phone: 314.516.5968   ÃŽâ„¢   Fax: 314.516.5993
A Service of the University of Missouri-St. Louis

Carol Iglauer

[...]

Connect

If you value the service St. Louis Public Radio offers to our community, offer your financial support for our work.

Connect with us: FacebookTwitterFlickrInstagramYouTube

Click to
                                                        Donate

Listen. Support. Sustain.
You hear the difference on St. Louis Public Radio. Radio that is smart, insightful and worth your time. Your support makes it all possible.

>> Click here to donate

www.stlpublicradio.org

3651 Olive Street   ÃŽâ„¢   St. Louis, MO 63108   ÃŽâ„¢   Phone: 314.516.5968   ÃŽâ„¢   Fax: 314.516.5993

A Service of the University of Missouri-St. Louis

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Shaw Neighborhood" group.