Installation is hard :( I'm lost

dev Dave

Nov 19, 2013, 5:26:44 AM11/19/13
to sharp-arc...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm currently trying to define the best solution for my enterprise. A friend of mine told me to use Sharp Arch. I want to try it but i dont understand anything. What he showed me was pretty clear and easy to use in Visual Studio. But the installation from source is a mess for me.

First : Templify is not available (website in readme seems to be down) so i downloaded the sources and compiled the TemplifyCmd.exe.

Second : I downloaded the sharp-architecture-2.0.4-templify-package.zip which content 2 files. So I run the cmd file it created the \AppData\Roaming\Endjin\Templify\repo in my user folder.

There i'm lost ... so I downloaded the Sharp-Architecture-master.zip file from github. I'm still lost because when I run the *.cmd files, I have errors :

It would be awesome for me to finally be able to use your software. What am I doing wrong ?

Thank you for your responses

Regards

Seif Attar

Nov 19, 2013, 7:26:20 AM11/19/13
to sharp-arc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

I'll nudge Howard about the templify site problem.

As for building sharp arch, you need to:

git submodule init
git submodule update

In the root of the proejct.

So after compiling/installing templify and run the bat file from SharpArch zip which copies it to the teamplify repos folder, can you not click on an empty folder and select templify here?

Christian Setzkorn

Nov 19, 2013, 7:38:26 AM11/19/13
to S#arp Architecture
Hi,

Good to see some activity here (-:

Are there any plans to move to mvc 4, especially web api? We tried to implement the asp.net mvc transaction attribute for web api without success ...

Thanks!

Christian

dev Dave

Nov 19, 2013, 12:01:23 PM11/19/13
to sharp-arc...@googlegroups.com
I cannot install Git on my computer. (Policy of my society). Is there any other solution ?

Christian Setzkorn

Nov 19, 2013, 12:08:09 PM11/19/13
to S#arp Architecture
Just download the source code from Github?

dev Dave

Nov 19, 2013, 12:13:02 PM11/19/13
to sharp-arc...@googlegroups.com
There are things I don't understand in the tutorial here :

It says :

Download and install Templify. Make sure to install the latest Sharp Architecture package by going to the Sharp Architecture "Downloads" page and downloading the Templify zip. Extract the contents and run the *.cmd file to install the package.

Next, select the folder you wish to deploy Sharp Architecture. In our case, let's create a folder and name the project, IceCreamYouScreamCorp. After Templify has finished deploying the package, go ahead and launch the solution in Visual Studio.

So I downloaded as required the two zips : Sharp-Architecture-master and Sharp-Architecture-Template-master

I did launch the four cmd files. One in the Sharp-Architecture-Template-master.zip and three in the Build folder of the Sharp-Architecture-master

From there I go in the folder \AppData\Roaming\Endjin\Templify\repo where i found the sharp-architecture-v2.0.4.pkg file

That's all I understand. may be you can tell me if I can do anything from there ? It's really not easy when you have never worked with neither Git nor Templify. Sorry if it seems stupid.

Christian Setzkorn

Nov 19, 2013, 12:16:12 PM11/19/13
to S#arp Architecture
All you need is to create a folder for the solution, right click it and chose 'Templify here' (provided you installed templify correctly). Templification takes a few minutes but you should then be able to open the solution in vs.

HTH,

Carl Bussema

Nov 19, 2013, 12:26:16 PM11/19/13
to sharp-arc...@googlegroups.com
The problem is he didn't get templify installed... he's just got the source. Not sure what the differences are, per se.

You could ask someone who has templify installed (I don't because I'm not on my normal work computer) to create an empty project and then zip it up / dropbox it for you. Or maybe someone has the templify installer still in their downloads folder from months gone by.

Seif Attar

Nov 19, 2013, 2:36:47 PM11/19/13
to sharp-arc...@googlegroups.com

Right, so if I understand correctly, you work somewhere where you can't install git or templify, change work?

I guess the only way to carry on would be to download the template source code and find and replace all occurrences of SharpArchTemplate with the name you want to use.

Alternatively you can create the solution and add projects manually following the structure of the template, then for each project install relevant Sharp architecture nuget packages. You can find what packages need to be in each project by looking at packages.config on the project of the template.

But seriously, developing on a machine that you can't install development tools on is rubbish. Ask for a process exemption or whatever corporates call things these days.

Carl Bussema

Nov 19, 2013, 2:57:33 PM11/19/13
to sharp-arc...@googlegroups.com

Could you set up a vm and install your tools in there, then check the code in or just copy it back over after the initial creation?

Christian

Nov 20, 2013, 5:07:34 AM11/20/13
to sharp-arc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave
maybe its easier for you to get sharp architecture in to your project using the Nuget packages.
I know it only get you the binaries. And not configuration of castle windsor etc.

BR Christian Johansen

dev Dave

Nov 20, 2013, 8:24:07 AM11/20/13
to sharp-arc...@googlegroups.com
thank you for your response i'll try this way :)