I guess I screwed up

Jim Puccio

Jan 15, 2024, 7:37:22 PMJan 15
to Sharon Go Club
I'm assuming I committed a protocol error by responding to the Meetup announcement by signing up for the meeting there without probing the list here first. Oh, well. I'll know better in the future. In any case, I worked through a number of problems while I was deciding whether it was worth waiting any longer for anyone to show up, to the time wasn't entirely wasted.

FWIW, I played two 13x13 games at the Providence club last Thursday, one with a 5-stone handicap against a much stronger player who stomped me something like 45-0. Zero because her captured exactly nullified my (meagre) territorial gains. The other was played against someone who I think is more experienced than me, but rusty - she said she only plays "a few times a year." This game was played with no handicap, and I managed to win it 23-4, my first legitimate win so far. I think I can count this as evidence of my infinitesimally incremental progress, because I did not find it easy to do this - she did invariably punish my mistakes.

I continue to practice at goproblems.com, and, though I am not certain how accurate the problem ratings are there, nowadays it is throwing ones mostly ranging between 25 and 17 kyu at me, and I am doing better at them. But in a game, I still don't really know how I should be opening, building my position, etc. And also, for some reason, I find it easier to screw up during a game than when contemplating a tsumeji problem or whatever. No doubt I should restart my reading, which I allowed the holidays to completely derail.

Jim Puccio

Jan 15, 2024, 7:49:06 PMJan 15
to Sharon Go Club
Typo fixes:
1. so the time wasn't entirely wasted.
2. Zero because her captures
3. tsumego problem
--

---

Shai Simonson

Jan 15, 2024, 8:56:45 PMJan 15
to sharon-...@googlegroups.com

I'm assuming I committed a protocol error by responding to the Meetup announcement by signing up for the meeting there without probing the list here first. Oh, well. I'll know better in the future. In any case, I worked through a number of problems while I was deciding whether it was worth waiting any longer for anyone to show up, to the time wasn't entirely wasted.

Yeah. Howie lives in Maine now, and I do not monitor the Meetup. But I do see these emails, and monitor the group page.
That's great that won a game at Providence. It takes time to improve __

Go problems are a great way to practice. Getting good at them will help make more big picture decisions in a real game... although some ideas in a real game are simpler and more strategic

I will plan to come in person next week.