licensing

Jim Greer

Feb 8, 2008, 10:19:46 AM2/8/08
to shared-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings.

I've recently come across the SharedRecords project. Could you
please answer a couple of questions?

1) Is SharedRecords open-source?

I can't really tell. Also,
- The download doesn't include the source.
- The pages mention developer access to the source code, but
https://www.sharedrecords.org/svn/sra/ only yields a 404.
I do occasionally have difficulties due to a webproxy at my worksplace, though.

2) What software license applies to the SharedRecords project? The
closest I've seen to an answer is a response to that question on:

http://lewcid.org/2007/11/13/tiddlywiki-and-distance-learning/

"The SharedRecords web service is currently freely available for
non-profit uses and can be accessed directly using REST API's.
Both the server code and a java client which does
encryption/decryption and reads/writes barcodes on the client side
before accessing the server is available from the site under Creative
Commons-by-NC license."

but the UnaMesa webpages/wiki states:

"As with all UnaMesa projects, the output from this research will be
freely accessible for all to use and build upon. We do ask for and
rely upon community support to cover the cost of our operations and
gratefully acknowledge sponsors who contribute funds to support
research and development."

Kind regards,
Jim Greer

GregWolff

Mar 1, 2008, 7:45:09 PM3/1/08
to shared-records
Jim,

Thanks for your questions. The SharedRecords software is available
under multiple open source licenses. We do request that commercial
users agree to abide by some principles of fairness and provide some
level of support for UnaMesa projects. We believe that the
SharedRecords goals of providing reliable infrastructure for simple
and secure exchange of records is best served by whichever license
suits the needs of development partners and other stakeholders.

Are you asking for commercial or noncommercial use? Which license
would you prefer? We tend towards Creative Commons NC (non-
commercial) for work but understand that the Mozilla public license,
GPL, Apache licenses, etc. are preferred for most software
projects. We have provided copies to others under a license
equivalent to the Mozilla public license.

I do apologize and take full responsibility for the confusion on the
website and the unavailability of the download link. We have been
working to overcome one small hurdle before making the download link
openly available to everyone. While UnaMesa owns most of the
SharedRecords software (Java client and server), we are using a third
party library for reading barcodes for which we can distribute the
binary but not source. We have been trying to work out a way to
either obtain a license to redistribute the source or replace it with
an open source module. This has taken much longer than any of us
would like.

Until we can release all of the source code, we prefer to keep track
of everyone who has received the software directly from UnaMesa so
that we can provide them with support and notify them when the above
issue has been resolved.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly with further questions.
-Greg