Two issues: Login with social media and add a place not working

Tim Moreland

Feb 25, 2014, 1:00:53 PM2/25/14
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a deployment of shareabouts for a comp plan update we are about to launch. The plan is to do a subdomain of the main project website for the shareabout app. The current app is running off heroku at (http://greatplaces.herokuapp.com/). I'm running into two problems. The first one relates to the social media login pages. I get a 404 redirect page when I click on the either facebook or twitter to sign in. You can check it out here.

The other problem is that the system gets hung up when I try to add a point. I get the processing circle but it never resolves and submits the point with the information in the form.

You can check out the code on my github repo at https://github.com/aplannersguide/shareabouts. The flavor is called "greatplaces". Any suggestions on how to fix would be greatly appreciated. I have a demo with the project team on Thursday morning and it would be great if I could show the functionality of the app in the meeting. Thanks for any and all help!

Tim

Frank Hebbert

Feb 26, 2014, 11:13:40 AM2/26/14
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Check your environment variables -- is your dataset root correct, and are you using the right API key?

Run heroku config --app APPNAME
where APPNAME is your heroku app name

Look at the output to check that the these values match what's on the dataset key page on api.shareabouts.org --
SHAREABOUTS_DATASET_KEY
SHAREABOUTS_DATASET_ROOT

--
-- --
Shareabouts Developers group.

Frank Hebbert
OpenPlans | http://openplans.org | 720 432-2378 | @fkh

Tim Moreland

Feb 26, 2014, 1:16:15 PM2/26/14
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Frank,

It looks like when I synced my repo with the code on my computer using github for windows it didn't copy the local_settings.py file to the repo. I updated the repo on github with the missing file, redeployed the app and reset the API key and now I can add a point and the login works! The problem now that I'm having is that the places aren't showing up on the map. Two steps forward, one step back. The app also seems to hang up when submitting a place. I got the progress circle and had to refresh the page to get out of it.

Tim

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Shareabouts Developers" group.

Tim Moreland
www.aplannersguide.com

Frank Hebbert

Feb 26, 2014, 1:20:22 PM2/26/14
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Did you do these steps under "Set your flavor, and dataset API key and root URL" -- https://github.com/openplans/shareabouts/blob/master/doc/DEPLOY.md#deploying-to-a-paas-provider

I'm seeing an authentication dialog, which makes me think the key is still incorrect.

Tim Moreland

Feb 26, 2014, 1:40:58 PM2/26/14
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
I have the flavor and root URL hard coded in the config.yml file and add the API key later following the directions. I checked the API key and it is the correct one. I did notice that the images for the icon in the config.yml is linking here instead of here in the default code. Would that have anything to do with if the places were showing up on the map or not? I tried updating in my code but it still isn't working. The developers tools for chrome throw the following error when I load the page.

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'icon' of null

And this one when I click on the pages I added.

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'layer' of undefined

Have I just really messed up my deploy or am I missing something simple.

Frank Hebbert

Feb 26, 2014, 2:14:45 PM2/26/14
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what you mean about having the flavor/root URL in the config.yml file. That sounds wrong (and apologies if that's something unclear in our docs). You need to run this command, fill in your api key ---

                     SHAREABOUTS_DATASET_KEY=apikeyhere

The site is working for you because you're logged in (so the api doesn't need to authenticate you). If you try in a different browser, you'll see that adding points isn't currently working.