Newcomer woes

Bill Morris

Aug 17, 2013, 10:46:12 PM8/17/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

First, thanks for putting this thing together - the demos I've seen have the potential to be really useful and I look forward to getting one off the ground.

That said, I'm running into deployment issues. As specifically as I can:

- Running on Heroku: http://cvrpctest.herokuapp.com/ - but this returns an internal server error
- Server test results are:

 Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "src/manage.py", line 8, in <module>
    from django.core.management import execute_from_command_line
ImportError: No module named django.core.management

- I'm running off of the Shareabouts API beta: http://api.shareabouts.org/api/v1/geosprocket/datasets/cvrpc/
- I've got a [slightly] customized flavor called cvrpc: https://gist.github.com/wboykinm/6259657

Any idea what the nature of the error is? I apologize, but my debugging skills are limited when nothing shows up at the javascript console.

Thanks again!

Bill Morris

Aug 21, 2013, 10:17:06 PM8/21/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Okay! I've got a more useful error!

Turns out my "No Server Response" below was the result of my flavor customizing, so I'll proceed carefully from now on.

I stood up a heroku instance of the "bikeparking" app, and the UI actually loaded! Woot! Baby steps. However, there's no apparent connection to the "voteable data", and it throws this error:

Is there something obvious I can fix this with? Is it just that there's no data in my API call? Cross-origin vs. same origin always sounds a bit terrifying.

Thanks!

-Bill

Frank Hebbert

Aug 21, 2013, 11:54:09 PM8/21/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
The zendesk error sounds like an old contact widget that we had running on some of the demos. To fix this, delete everything in src/flavors/bikeparking/templates/includes.html

Are you able to get the site running locally, including adding data to the map? I'd do that before going further with setting up the hosted site.

The bikeparking survey ties responses to existing locations on the map - it was for a survey of bike parking at rail stations. If you want people to add dots to the map (like this http://makebrooklynsafer.shareabouts.org/), either start with a different flavor or change "adding_supported" in the config file. You will need to add some points somehow, otherwise there's nothing to display.

Frank

--
-- --
Shareabouts Developers group.