Linux Community 4.2.c Compatability

Fred Warren

Aug 18, 2013, 10:57:26 PM8/18/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Will,

I have been trying to create a Community 4.2.c Alfresco in Linux.  I have Alfresco working in Windows but Linux offers some advantages to our group at the moment.  I have been able to install ffmpeg and media-viewers in the Linux environment, but I see the same failure in Linux that I saw in Windows prior to your fix for Community 4.2.c.  All the media-viewer code seems to load and run in the Linux environment but I see the same "[content.transform.AbstractContentTransformer2] [localhost-startStop-1] Property 'registry' has not been set.  Ignoring auto-registration" issue I saw in Windows prior to your fix.  I also see an error message from ffmpeg, but I doubt that it has any relevance to the issue at hand.  I have attached the catalina.log file with the debug trace enabled.  If you can find the time, perhaps you could take a look and let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Fred Warren
catalina.log

Fred Warren

Sep 2, 2013, 2:32:43 PM9/2/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Will,

Since 4.2.d is out, I have moved on to this environment.  I continue to have problems, but I think the most difficult is ffmpeg. I has compile dependencies on versions of various libraries that are not current in Alfresco.  The worst one was the zlib.  So, could you tell me which version of ffmpeg you used to test with on Alfresco 4.2.d?

Fred

Will Abson

Sep 3, 2013, 4:42:51 AM9/3/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,

You would be advised to use the latest available version of FFmpeg. That way, if you have problems with it then you should find you can get help from their mailing lists and other support channels.

You should not have any compilation problems that are caused by Alfresco since Alfresco is a self-contained Java webapp and therefore it does not depend on external libraries, especially not the C libraries that FFmpeg relies on.

My advice would be to get your FFmpeg installation working OK such that you can use it to perform your required transformations on the command line, and then once that is working OK check that Alfresco and the Media Viewers add-on are able to use it successfully.

Just one last note, you probably can't see this without going into the Google Group itself, but there are many other people on this list who are more knowledgable then me in many areas. So if you address your queries to the list rather than to me directly, you are more likely to get a response from someone else if I am not able to answer myself.

Thanks,
Will

Fred Warren

Sep 3, 2013, 8:59:57 PM9/3/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
OK, question to everyone:

I am running 4.2.d on Ubuntu. I have now got the latest ffmpeg built and installed and working.  There are still issues.  The latest ffmpeg is very verbose on stderr and the meda-viewers code seems to interpret this verbosity as an error and kills the preview.  A small snip of the debug trace is:

2013-09-03 16:53:46,917  ERROR [repo.action.AsynchronousActionExecutionQueueImpl] [defaultAsyncAction2] Failed to execute asynchronous action: Action[ id=171a3b49-dc5f-47c8-8647-cf2bc5574935, node=null ]: 08030105 Transformation failed - status indicates an error:
Execution result:
   os:         Linux
   command:    /usr/bin/ffmpeg ${opts} ${infile_opts} -i /opt/alfresco-4.2.d/tomcat/temp/Alfresco/RuntimeExecutableContentTransformerWorker_source_8811016356721056221.wav -f mp3 ${outfile_opts} /opt/alfresco-4.2.d/tomcat/temp/Alfresco /RuntimeExecutableContentTransformerWorker_target_3762375687326253339.mp3
   succeeded:  false
   exit code:  1
   out:
   err:        ffmpeg version git-2013-09-03-d21e496 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Sep  3 2013 14:16:34 with gcc 4.6 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
  configuration: --prefix=/home/vb/ffmpeg_build --extra-cflags=-I/home/vb/ffmpeg_build/inc
 org.alfresco.error.AlfrescoRuntimeException: 08030107 Creation of thumbnail 'mp3preview' failed
    at org.alfresco.repo.thumbnail.CreateThumbnailActionExecuter.executeImpl(CreateThumbnailActionExecuter.java:202)

When the ffmpeg command is cut from the debug trace and run from the console it works fine with no errors.  When I added -loglevel "fatal" to the ffmpeg console call, it produced no extra output so this might be a fix.

I have some other issues with the media-viewer package but getting ffmpeg sorted out is priority one for us.

Any help?

Thanks!

Fred
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to share-extras-devel+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Fred Warren

Sep 14, 2013, 1:29:31 PM9/14/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Well, it is time to report on some progress. I have found two basic things:

1. FFMPEG (or some of its included libraries) does some kind of version checking at run time. I am not sure what is going on, but the library versions have to match and they are checked against what is in alfresco/bin. The errors I got in the debug log output varied depending on what versions of what libraries happened to be installed, but the solution was always to copy an appropriate version library into alfresco/bin.  Once the versions matched, ffmpeg would execute.

2. At least for the tests I have been doing, it is critical that the media-viewer Spring XML include a "-y" in at least one of the opts parameters that get sent to ffmpeg. My issues were caused by ffmpeg needing the -y parameter to answer the overwrite the file question.

Here are the changes I had to make in video-transform-context  to get things to work:

1. In org_sharextras_media-viewers_ffmpeg.transform

</property>
    <property name="defaultProperties">
      <map merge="true">
        <entry key="opts" value="-y" />
        <entry key="infile_opts" value="" />
        <entry key="outfile_opts" value="" />
      </map>
    </property>

2. in org_sharextras_media-viewers_ffmpeg.transform.mp4

<entry key="outfile_opts" value="-y -ar 44100 -ab 96k -vcodec libx264 -crf 25 -g 250 -r 25" />

Perhaps Will can find a few minutes to think about this stuff and perhaps enhance the code.  The package is a huge improvement to Alfresco for organizations that have a lot of digital assets.

Thanks to all!

Fred