pdf.js document viewer status

Will Abson

May 31, 2012, 6:32:16 PM5/31/12
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
I've added some important updates this week to the Media Previews
project on trunk, including the following

* Much improved toolbar using YUI widgets
* A new 'Link' action in the toolbar, allowing you to generate a
link to a specific page within the current document
* Download button now allows you to download the PDF rendition, for
content that has been converted to PDF
* Many many bug fixes

It feels to me like it's getting stable enough to put this in a
release, but I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who is able to test.

There's a couple more small things I'd like to get in including
keyboard shortcuts and local storage of paging and zoom status for
specific documents via browser storage. The project name and README
also need updating based on the changes.

Cheers,
Will

Will Abson

Jun 26, 2012, 12:34:13 PM6/26/12
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Four weeks later and the pdf.js viewer is now functionally complete.
Based on the earlier discussion between myself and Peter it remains
disabled in Chrome on Windows, but I've had a generally good
experience on all the other platforms that I've tested on, including
Safari on iOS.

The last part is the update of the README file, which I will aim to do
this week so we can get a 2.x release out.

If anyone else has found issues with the functionality or the general
compatibility then please report those in the Issues section ASAP so I
can review them.

Cheers,
Will

Peter Löfgren

Jun 26, 2012, 2:25:23 PM6/26/12
2012/6/26 Will Abson <will....@gmail.com>

Four weeks later and the pdf.js viewer is now functionally complete.
Based on the earlier discussion between myself and Peter it remains
disabled in Chrome on Windows, but I've had a generally good
experience on all the other platforms that I've tested on, including
Safari on iOS.

The last part is the update of the README file, which I will aim to do
this week so we can get a 2.x release out.

If anyone else has found issues with the functionality or the general
compatibility then please report those in the Issues section ASAP so I
can review them.

Cheers,
Will

You have done some really great work here Will!
Committed some minor updates to pull in the latest for the standard pdf.js viewer. However, I think that we actually can remove that part of the viewer, since for what I can tell the Share-extras one have all the functionality now of that viewer. So removing "iframe" mode before release is one thing less to support.
Or might it serve as a purpose as a reference viewer still?

Looking forward to PdfJs being released :)

Cheers,
Peter

Erik Winlöf

Jun 26, 2012, 2:34:44 PM6/26/12
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
> Looking forward to PdfJs being released :)

Me to, nice work guys!

Cheers, Erik

Will Abson

Jul 4, 2012, 11:17:36 AM7/4/12
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
I've just put out the blog entry and obligatory tweet about the new
viewers. You can read more here

http://blogs.alfresco.com/wp/wabson/2012/07/04/media-previews-is-dead-long-live-media-viewers/
http://code.google.com/p/share-extras/wiki/MediaViewers

Thanks to everyone who's helped with this so far and especially to
Peter and Erik. This has been the biggest Share Extras add-on to date
and a true Community effort!

Cheers,
Will