AVI Viewing in Community 4.2.c

Fred Warren

Jul 17, 2013, 10:21:18 AM7/17/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
I reinstalled Community 4.2.c, on my Windows 7 system, got the latest media-viewers jar, put it into tomcat/shared/lib, setup ffmpeg, and turned on the debug trace. After doing the module installs, I uploaded an AVI file and tried to do a preview. The media-viewer conversion seemed to recognize it and ffmpeg was called for the conversion which was successful according to the log. However, the preview stalled with "Video conversion in progress, please wait" displayed. This message repeats whenever I try to do a preview. Any thoughts? I have attached the log file.  Will suggested I try the forum and I am hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks!

Fred
alfrescotomcat-stdout.2013-07-16.log

Will Abson

Jul 17, 2013, 10:55:58 AM7/17/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred, thanks for the log. I can see only one failed transformation in there, I assume this relates to the AVI file that you're having problems with.

If you take the failing command and run it interactively at a command prompt then FFmpeg should give you some more detailed information about what is going wrong. Did you try that?

Cheers,
Will

Fred

Fred Warren

Jul 17, 2013, 12:49:44 PM7/17/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will,

Great suggestion to try the ffmpeg call directly at the command line.  It looks like the call you are making to ffmpeg has a formatting error in one of the parameters of the call.  I have attached the command line output from the direct ffmpeg call.

Fred

On 17 July 2013 15:21, Fred Warren <fwarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I reinstalled Community 4.2.c, on my Windows 7 system, got the latest media-viewers jar, put it into tomcat/shared/lib, setup ffmpeg, and turned on the debug trace. After doing the module installs, I uploaded an AVI file and tried to do a preview. The media-viewer conversion seemed to recognize it and ffmpeg was called for the conversion which was successful according to the log. However, the preview stalled with "Video conversion in progress, please wait" displayed. This message repeats whenever I try to do a preview. Any thoughts? I have attached the log file.  Will suggested I try the forum and I am hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks!

Fred

ffmpeg_debug.txt

Will Abson

Jul 19, 2013, 6:22:51 AM7/19/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred, from your output it looks like one of the flags that was being used (+chroma) is no longer good in recent builds of FFmpeg/x264.

Since it's not really feasible for this project to keep track of which encoder flags are the best to use, given the rate of development on those projects, I have now opted for a more basic set in the base configuration, which I hope will be more stable over time.

If you want to customise the options that are passed to FFmpeg for any given transformation, you can do this by overriding the newly-refactored Spring beans in your own local config, e.g.

   <bean id="org_sharextras_media-viewers_ffmpeg.transform.mp4" parent="org_sharextras_media-viewers_ffmpeg.transform">
      <property name="defaultProperties">
          <map merge="true">
              <entry key="outfile_format" value="mp4" />
              <!-- Add custom FFmpeg options here -->
              <entry key="outfile_opts" value="-ar 44100 -ab 96k -vcodec libx264 -crf 25 -g 250 -r 25" />
          </map>
      </property>
   </bean>

The changes have been committed to GitHub so you can try them out immediately. Please reply to this thread or raise an issue if you still have problems.

Cheers,
Will

Fred Warren

Aug 3, 2013, 1:44:53 PM8/3/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will,

I am back from travel and starting this work again.  I am not sure if you have configured a new jar file that includes this fix that I could download or if I will need to build the package from code.  I'm not sure I fully understand the build process, but I am willing to give it a try.  I remember your last fix required only a jar download.  Any hope of you giving me a pointer or two?

Thanks,

Fred
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to share-extras-devel+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Fred Warren

Aug 3, 2013, 5:24:35 PM8/3/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com

Fred Warren

Aug 3, 2013, 5:24:44 PM8/3/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Will,

I think you can take this one off your list.  I downloaded the latest jar file (same name and size) which had your fixes.  The AVI previewer is working fine now.  Thanks for all the help!  Great package!

Fred

Will Abson

Aug 5, 2013, 11:54:07 AM8/5/13
to share-ext...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred, thanks for the update, glad it works OK now!