Announcing Shaka Streamer v0.4.0

Joey Parrish

Sep 3, 2021, 1:19:26 PM9/3/21
to Shaka Player Users
Hi everyone,

We are pleased to announce the release of Shaka Streamer v0.4.0.  It has been a long time since we had a release of Shaka Streamer, but development has really picked up lately thanks to our wonderful community of contributors.  Thank you all!

This release contains many bug fixes and features.  Here are the highlights:

Bug fixes:
 - Fix shutdown of cloud upload
 - Fix several issues with Ubuntu 16.04 and Python 3.5
 - Increase preserved segments outside of the availability window
 - Fix duplicate transcoder outputs with multiple audio languages
 - Fix resolution autodetection boundary cases
 - Fix packaging failures with long-running content
 - Restrict WebM formats to DASH, omit from HLS
 - Fix accidental live-type DASH output in VOD mode

Features:
 - Add AV1 support
 - Add --skip_deps_check to bypass version checks on dependencies
 - Add support for extracting text streams from multiplexed inputs
 - Add raw-key support
 - Add support for ac3 and ec3
 - Add config file with Apple's HLS recommendations
 - Add support for HEVC video codec
 - Automatic frame rate reduction
 - Add Windows support
 - Add HTTP url output support
 - Set channel count as an input feature, downmix as needed

Other critical changes:
 - Require Shaka Packager v2.5+
 - Drop raw_images input type

Shaka Streamer v0.4.0 can be installed easily through pip:

python3 -m pip install --upgrade shaka-streamer

FFmpeg v4.1+ and Shaka Packager v2.5+ will need to be separately installed and in your PATH when you run shaka-streamer.

Documentation can be found here: https://google.github.io/shaka-streamer/

Enjoy!
-Joey, on behalf of the Shaka Team