SHADY ACRES What’s Happening to the Ella Creek Apartments, Now Drained of Residents

Sam Jow

Feb 10, 2014, 8:10:02 PM2/10/14
to Shady News, Shadyacres club
Shady Acres is about to get really high-end with Class A apartments.

Ella Creek Apartments, 2121 Ella Blvd., Shady Acres, Houston
THE ELLA CREEK Apartments at the corner of Ella and 22nd St. (and just a block of away from a jog in that creek called White Oak Bayou) have beencompletely vacated, a reader tells Swamplot: “On a recent drive by I noticed there were no cars in the parking lots and the complex looked even worse than usual. It is a very large tract, and I’m wondering what the future land use will be.”
Guesses, anyone?
***
The 10-building complex on 3 acres, which dates from 1965, was purchased last October by Light Hill Partners, an investment group that’s renovated a series of smaller apartment complexes in and around the Houston Heights. But Light Hill doesn’t plan to renovate these buildings. Instead, the company is planning to replace them with a 120-unit 3-story courtyard building with open-air corridors. A surface parking lot for the complex will front Ella. Here are a couple sample elevations for the 2121 Ella Apartments from architects Mucasey and Associates, along with a site plan:
Proposed Apartments at 2121 Ella Blvd., Shady Acres, Houston
Proposed Apartments at 2121 Ella Blvd., Shady Acres, Houston