Google Wave?

1 view

Jacob Biggs

Oct 8, 2010, 6:17:40 PM10/8/10
to sgine-dev
Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on starting something on
Google Wave for this project. I think it would be great to keep track
of new ideas and task lists.

Let me know what you think. It is just that in my experience a forum
isn't always the best forum of communication, especially with a larger
community, and IRC requires real-time responses. Google Wave seems to
be the happy medium, with lots of cool features to help keep track of
everything and ease new developers into the code base.

Thanks,
Jacob Biggs

Hicks, Matt

Oct 8, 2010, 7:59:35 PM10/8/10
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
In general I don't think that's a bad idea, but I'm hesitant to want to use Google Wave since they've announced they've discontinued development on it.

Jacob Biggs

Oct 9, 2010, 12:32:37 AM10/9/10
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but it is not incomplete either. The source is also open. Again, it was just an idea that
I feel may help a lot.

Hicks, Matt

Oct 9, 2010, 7:52:33 AM10/9/10
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
What are the advantages you see?  We currently have a forum and e-mail list for offline reading and we have an IRC channel for real-time communication.  I understand that Wave would be a merger of these two things, but do we abandon the IRC channel, the forum, and e-mail lists in favor of it, or does it just become one more thing I have to keep up with?  Our forum sees almost no traffic because everyone seems to just go to IRC when they want to chat.  I have a feeling that Wave would be the same deal and sort of a departure of what everyone is used to.

I do like the idea of Wave, but I think they made some serious mistakes in the way they implemented it that makes it much less useful.

If you'd like to start a Wave feel free to do so and we'll give it a try.  It's very likely I'm wrong...it happens from time to time. ;)