Web browser rendered to Sgine display, Awesomium

philip

Apr 30, 2011, 5:51:16 AM4/30/11
to sgine-dev
Hi,

I wanted to render the contents of a web browser to Sgine display for
a long while, I tried Java embedded browsers and never got them to
work properly.

Then I found Awesomium embeds Chrome easily, in C++/C. Also I tried it
and was happy that it embeds Flash and HTML easily even with
transparency. http://www.khrona.com/products/awesomium/

So I was thinking to program my application in C++/C which I didn't
want to do, I wanted to write it in Sgine, then I found someone using
Awesomium in Java, but this is on Android platform.

ie this Java program
https://github.com/badlogic/libgdx/blob/master/extensions/awesomium/gdx-awesomium-tests/src/com/badlogic/gdx/awesomium/SimpleTest.java
from https://github.com/badlogic/libgdx/tree/master/extensions/awesomium

So ideally, Sgine is integrated with Awesomium through this libgdx
adapted. *If* I can get the free time I will try to go this direction
as I need the browser embedded and I want to use Sgine and not C/C++.

Regards, Philip

Hicks, Matt

Apr 30, 2011, 9:30:47 AM4/30/11
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
Philip,

I have similar desires to incorporate a browser into the 3d environment.  Libgdx supports multiple render paths like the new version of Sgine does.  I actually spent quite a bit of time with libgdx previously trying to decide whether Sgine should just utilize it instead of creating our own core but there were several things I didn't like about it that made me decide to go my own way.  However, on the bright side, adapting their work into Sgine should be relatively easy to do.  Take a look at the source code: https://github.com/badlogic/libgdx/tree/master/extensions/awesomium/gdx-awesomium/src/com/badlogic/gdx/awesomium and because it makes buffer data available it should be relatively easy to port for our needs.  Like I said, this is something I've been thinking about for a while, but my idea was to try to create something similar, but could run any native process and incorporate the graphical interface into 3d.  Obviously that's much harder, but would open the door to doing much more than just showing a browser.  Using Libgdx's work with Awesomium seems like low hanging fruit so it would make sense to utilize that for now.

Let me know once you have something working and we can add it as a child project in Sgine.

Thanks,

Matt

philip

Apr 30, 2011, 10:11:00 PM4/30/11
to sgine-dev
Hi Matt,

"run any native process and incorporate the graphical interface into
3d"

That would be nice. I also want that in the longer term, but for the
short term I only need browser.

My requirement is just that I need webpages to show within the Sgine,
I tried other "free" Java embed browser projects and they were not
working properly where-as Awesomium works well. I don't mind its
licence.
Then I can do everything I wanted with SGine and Scala and JVM rather
than having to use a different language, as it has all the
capabilities I need.

Phil

On Apr 30, 9:30 pm, "Hicks, Matt" <mhi...@captiveimagination.com>
wrote:
> Philip,
>
> I have similar desires to incorporate a browser into the 3d environment.
> Libgdx supports multiple render paths like the new version of Sgine does.  I
> actually spent quite a bit of time with libgdx previously trying to decide
> whether Sgine should just utilize it instead of creating our own core but
> there were several things I didn't like about it that made me decide to go
> my own way.  However, on the bright side, adapting their work into Sgine
> should be relatively easy to do.  Take a look at the source code:https://github.com/badlogic/libgdx/tree/master/extensions/awesomium/g...
> because it makes buffer data available it should be relatively easy to
> port for our needs.  Like I said, this is something I've been thinking about
> for a while, but my idea was to try to create something similar, but could
> run any native process and incorporate the graphical interface into 3d.
> Obviously that's much harder, but would open the door to doing much more
> than just showing a browser.  Using Libgdx's work with Awesomium seems like
> low hanging fruit so it would make sense to utilize that for now.
>
> Let me know once you have something working and we can add it as a child
> project in Sgine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:51 AM, philip <philip14...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I wanted to render the contents of a web browser to Sgine display for
> > a long while, I tried Java embedded browsers and never got them to
> > work properly.
>
> > Then I found Awesomium embeds Chrome easily, in C++/C. Also I tried it
> > and was happy that it embeds Flash and HTML easily even with
> > transparency.http://www.khrona.com/products/awesomium/
>
> > So I was thinking to program my application in C++/C which I didn't
> > want to do, I wanted to write it in Sgine, then I found someone using
> > Awesomium in Java, but this is on Android platform.
>
> > ie this Java program
>
> >https://github.com/badlogic/libgdx/blob/master/extensions/awesomium/g...
> > fromhttps://github.com/badlogic/libgdx/tree/master/extensions/awesomium

philip

May 1, 2011, 9:57:29 AM5/1/11
to sgine-dev
Hi Matt,

Where is the source code lately?

Downloads link to the wrong place.
http://code.google.com/p/sgine/wiki/Downloads

So I tried to get the source from hg and it seems like some files are
missing.
For example, core project only contains Enum.scala and
Enumerated.scala. Maybe you have not checked files in lately?

I'd like to get started again!

Thanks, Phil

wrote:
> Philip,
>
> I have similar desires to incorporate a browser into the 3d environment.
> Libgdx supports multiple render paths like the new version of Sgine does.  I
> actually spent quite a bit of time with libgdx previously trying to decide
> whether Sgine should just utilize it instead of creating our own core but
> there were several things I didn't like about it that made me decide to go
> my own way.  However, on the bright side, adapting their work into Sgine
> should be relatively easy to do.  Take a look at the source code:https://github.com/badlogic/libgdx/tree/master/extensions/awesomium/g...
> because it makes buffer data available it should be relatively easy to
> port for our needs.  Like I said, this is something I've been thinking about
> for a while, but my idea was to try to create something similar, but could
> run any native process and incorporate the graphical interface into 3d.
> Obviously that's much harder, but would open the door to doing much more
> than just showing a browser.  Using Libgdx's work with Awesomium seems like
> low hanging fruit so it would make sense to utilize that for now.
>
> Let me know once you have something working and we can add it as a child
> project in Sgine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:51 AM, philip <philip14...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I wanted to render the contents of a web browser to Sgine display for
> > a long while, I tried Java embedded browsers and never got them to
> > work properly.
>
> > Then I found Awesomium embeds Chrome easily, in C++/C. Also I tried it
> > and was happy that it embeds Flash and HTML easily even with
> > transparency.http://www.khrona.com/products/awesomium/
>
> > So I was thinking to program my application in C++/C which I didn't
> > want to do, I wanted to write it in Sgine, then I found someone using
> > Awesomium in Java, but this is on Android platform.
>
> > ie this Java program
>
> >https://github.com/badlogic/libgdx/blob/master/extensions/awesomium/g...
> > fromhttps://github.com/badlogic/libgdx/tree/master/extensions/awesomium

Hicks, Matt

May 1, 2011, 12:42:11 PM5/1/11
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
The default branch is currently undergoing massive amounts of refactoring so it's missing a lot right now.  If you switch to the "0.1" branch you'll see the fully functional engine.  You can use that and we can port code over when the refactoring is complete.

philip

May 2, 2011, 10:55:52 AM5/2/11
to sgine-dev
Hi Matt,

Its working thanks, any chance you can upgrade the code to Scala
2.9.0.RC2? I tried to compile it with 2.9.0.RC2 and run it and it
gives errors. 2.8 is running ok.
Well its good I can run it and program again.

Thanks, Phil

On May 2, 12:42 am, "Hicks, Matt" <mhi...@captiveimagination.com>

Hicks, Matt

May 2, 2011, 11:00:47 AM5/2/11
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
I will start using 2.9 with the default branch once it's released. Because I depend on ScalaTest they need to release an update for 2.9 before it will work.