Re: using sgine

Anthony Di Franco

Aug 10, 2011, 7:07:47 PM8/10/11
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
I pulled in the UI dependency via Maven since I saw in Build.scala and elsewhere that it in turn pulls all the rest in.

I am trying to reproduce the example from this fairly recent post:

It seems that the org.sgine.core package no longer exists in the current source, checked out by me, built and deployed to my own maven repository today.

Instead, for example, there is org.sgine.resource.Resource instead of org.sgine.core.Resource, and org.sgine.display.StandardDisplay is nowhere to be found.

I haven't found your ScalaDocs, (I found a link in the blog which is broken,) nor gotten my own going yet, so I'm rummaging rather inefficiently through source.

The going has been a bit rough. What's the short story on getting started, if any?

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 08:07, Matt Hicks <darkf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sgine is made up of many sub-projects in SBT, so there isn't the need for a
> top-level project really anymore.
>
> You can take a look at the dependency structure in the Build class:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/sgine/source/browse/project/Build.scala
>
> Please send any responses to the mailing list now as I've sent you an
> invitation.
>
> -Matt
>
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Anthony <di.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Heya,
>>  I'm trying to get started with sgine as a lighter weight and more
>> idiomatic alternative to jmonkeyengine. I'm using scala 2.9.0-1 and
>> looking at your maven repository and I also built from source and
>> deployed to my local maven repository. It seems there's no longer the
>> top-level sgine package that there is for the 2.8 build, not in your
>> repos nor mine, and I don't know whether that's intentional or whether
>> you or I have something misconfigured. What's the general idea?
>>  Separately, I wouldn't mind being on this list just to keep an eye on
>> your progress.
>>
>> --Anthony

Hicks, Matt

Aug 10, 2011, 8:29:32 PM8/10/11
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
That's because the first example was from the 0.1 codebase.  The second example is on the new code and is checked into the repository here:

http://code.google.com/p/sgine/source/browse/ui/src/test/scala/org/sgine/ui/ImageTest.scala

I need to figure out a way to generate the ScalaDocs for the multi-project, I just haven't had time recently.  I'm taking this month off of development with Sgine to write an Android game, so you won't hear much from me this month. :)

philip

Aug 13, 2011, 12:23:03 AM8/13/11
to sgine-dev
Hi Anthony,

I'm building with Sgine, here is what I do.

I use SBT 10, IntelliJ with the Scala plugin and SBT plugin. I use SBT
plugin to do my builds.

1. Step-wise to create my project I started by creating a new SBT
project using the SBT command line tool.
2. Then I built up my Build.scala file to include Sgine and other
things.
3. I used IntelliJ and SBT I run from within IntelliJ from its SBT
prompt.
4. I use the SBT intellij project generator "gen-idea" to generate my
IntelliJ project from within SBT to include all the right jars etc in
the IntelliJ project.
5. I build and test and run a demo

You would have to google many of the terms above.

Here is my Build.scala
http://pastebin.com/GJieEtYe

In my lib directory I have PNGDecoder.jar and scalamodules-
core_2.9.0-2.0.3-Snapshot.jar (this scalamodules not needed for Sgine,
just my other things). Is PNGDecoder.jar needed? I am not sure right
now, it was before.

In my runtime directory (home path at runtime) I have the dll's that
are required which you can find.

You don't need the akka, osgi, felix etc, so you could remove a lot of
that. You only need the Sgine stuff. Probably you will get confused by
reading that Build.scala, oh well - I was confused for a long time
too.....if you want to go down this path you need to know about SBT 10
(Scala Build Tool 10), IntelliJ, gen-idea https://github.com/mpeltonen/sbt-idea
All of this might be too much of a headache for you to go through, but
for me, its now a stable platform I can build upon with all the tools
I want. SBT builds are quick too and incremental with ~compile

Hopefully Matt will come back to the project soon.

Phil

On Aug 11, 7:07 am, Anthony Di Franco <di.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I pulled in the UI dependency via Maven since I saw in Build.scala and
> elsewhere that it in turn pulls all the rest in.
>
> I am trying to reproduce the example from this fairly recent post:http://www.sgine.org/2011/07/more-concise-and-more-powerful.html
>
> It seems that the org.sgine.core package no longer exists in the current
> source, checked out by me, built and deployed to my own maven repository
> today.
>
> Instead, for example, there is org.sgine.resource.Resource instead of
> org.sgine.core.Resource, and org.sgine.display.StandardDisplay is nowhere to
> be found.
>
> I haven't found your ScalaDocs, (I found a link in the blog which is
> broken,) nor gotten my own going yet, so I'm rummaging rather inefficiently
> through source.
>
> The going has been a bit rough. What's the short story on getting started,
> if any?
>

> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 08:07, Matt Hicks <darkfro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sgine is made up of many sub-projects in SBT, so there isn't the need for
> > top-level project really anymore.
>
> > You can take a look at the dependency structure in the Build class:
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/sgine/source/browse/project/Build.scala
>
> > Please send any responses to the mailing list now as I've sent you an
> > invitation.
>
> > -Matt

Hicks, Matt

Aug 13, 2011, 9:35:07 AM8/13/11
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
Philip,

That's the great start for a tutorial.  Would you consider writing a wiki entry for Sgine about getting started?

Yes, the PNGDecoder is still used (for loading PNG files), but I need to see if I can get it into Maven so it's not an explicit dependency anymore.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you access to modify the wiki.

Thanks,

Matt

Anthony

Aug 13, 2011, 6:34:32 PM8/13/11
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
Actually I already had the current source of sgine built and packaged in a maven package and included in my project via maven rather than sbt.

I am also using intellij but I used external sbt 10 to build sgine. Though I haven't gotten it to build the scaladocs yet.

I was just confused about the different versions. I am back to tinkering with it now.

Have you found the current source to be stable and usable? Can you make any recommendation on the stability of sgine 0.1 vs. the current source?

Hicks, Matt

Aug 13, 2011, 8:16:21 PM8/13/11
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
There is definitely more in 0.1 than the default branch, but what is in the default branch is more powerful and better in general.