Simplex3D is impressive

Hicks, Matt

Jul 1, 2010, 9:58:44 PM7/1/10
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
I'm very much an opinionated person, but definitely not above acknowledging when I'm wrong.  I've been extremely skeptical of Simplex3D all along and the performance that Lex has over and over stated about it in comparison to the math library Sgine currently uses.  To that extent even while attempting to port code over to using Simplex I've remained skeptical and have been doing performance comparisons as I was convinced that creating new objects versus modifying existing objects was a no-brainer on performance.

Well, here it is Lex...I was wrong and you were right my friend.  In almost every case Simplex3D has had incredible performance even when creating massive amounts of new objects versus modifying existing objects.

I'm still concerned that the additional garbage may cause gc'ing to create less-than-smooth animations to occur, but my hope is that it will be a non-issue.  Hopefully by this weekend the porting will be complete and the final testing can begin.

philip

Jul 2, 2010, 10:06:06 AM7/2/10
to sgine-dev
Hi,

Are you two merging somehow?

I don't like lots of objects created and eaten by the garbage
collector, give me the good old days of 32k of ram, you just PEEK and
POKE where you want, the idea of a garbage collector would be be
considered perverse.

Philip

On Jul 2, 9:58 am, "Hicks, Matt" <mhi...@captiveimagination.com>

Hicks, Matt

Jul 2, 2010, 10:14:35 AM7/2/10
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
We are currently working on a branch of Sgine that switches to using Simplex3D instead of the built-in math classes in Sgine.  So far the performance has been impressive and though in general I hold the same opinion as you of generating lots of garbage it does not appear to be slowing things down.  In fact, it allows for a more functional and less buggy paradigm when dealing with the math classes, so if we can make the transition and keep as good or better performance I see it as a win-win.

Lex

Jul 2, 2010, 2:38:30 PM7/2/10
to sgine-dev
Thank you for the kind words. Hope you will still like it after the
switch.

On Jul 2, 10:14 am, "Hicks, Matt" <mhi...@captiveimagination.com>
wrote:
> We are currently working on a branch of Sgine that switches to using
> Simplex3D instead of the built-in math classes in Sgine.  So far the
> performance has been impressive and though in general I hold the same
> opinion as you of generating lots of garbage it does not appear to be
> slowing things down.  In fact, it allows for a more functional and less
> buggy paradigm when dealing with the math classes, so if we can make the
> transition and keep as good or better performance I see it as a win-win.

Hicks, Matt

Jul 2, 2010, 2:42:34 PM7/2/10
to sgin...@googlegroups.com
So do I. :)