amazing hash opportunity today, but....

Funky Tuba

Feb 19, 2013, 3:24:42 PM2/19/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com
Today's SJ hash is in the Drawbridge, CA ghost town in the sloughs
between Alviso and Fremont.

I'm definitely not going. I also advise anyone who would consider it
that it's on the less-legal and more-dangerous side of things. One
would have to risk dodging trains, getting fined for being on the
tracks and sinking into mud to get there (especially in today's
weather).

Apparently it can be attempted somewhat less-illegally by boat, but
then you gotta have a boat and go at high tide.

Read up on http://www.yelp.com/biz/drawbridge-ghost-town-fremont and
check your ACE train schedules before attempting.

--FunkyTuba

Anne Ogborn

Feb 19, 2013, 3:47:00 PM2/19/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com
Avctually, that's public land. The tracks aren't used, there's a public trail out there along the tracks.

FunkyTuba

Feb 19, 2013, 3:56:25 PM2/19/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com, sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com
Begging your pardon, Anne,

If you follow those tracks south in Google maps, you'll find that they go down to the Great America Capitol Corridor/ACE train station and a number of freight destinations. That track is heavily used indeed. (Read the yelp reviews for confirmation)

While the land itself may be public, the tracks used to access that land are controlled by the railroads (with good reason).

In any event, use caution if you decide to attempt this hash

Anne Ogborn

Feb 19, 2013, 4:24:15 PM2/19/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com
The drawbridge is out of service and permanently open, hence the tracks are disused.

(Also, I used to be more into trains stuff, and additionally had a friend make this trip once and tell me about it).

There's tracks in Marin county, too, and they're not used, either. As well as many other places.

Nonetheless, certainly we should research before going.

And indeed, it looks like the town's off limits anyway, not because of trains but because it's in an environmentally
sensitive area.

http://www.ghosttown.info/ca/drawbridge/

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Ghost-town-of-Drawbridge-is-going-down-into-bay-3269448.php

JC Dill

Feb 19, 2013, 5:28:01 PM2/19/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com
Although the drawbridge is no more, there are ACE trains, Capitol Corridor trains, and freight trains (unscheduled) that cross the (non-drawbridge) tracks thru Station Island and pass the ghost town of Drawbridge many times daily.

As it happens, a few weeks ago I put together a list of scheduled (ACE and Capitol Corridor) trains that go thru Alviso daily, to help with scheduling photos of the trains on the tracks in and near Alviso.

Alviso Train schedule
CC = Capitol Corridor
ACE = Altamont Commuter Express
Train Direction Apx Time
ACE 01 WB-weekday 06:03 AM
CC 524 EB-weekday 07:04 AM
CC 521 WB-weekday 07:06 AM
ACE 03 WB-weekday 07:18 AM
CC 523 WB-weekday 08:06 AM
CC 724 EB-weekend 08:14 AM
CC 723 WB-weekend 08:16 AM
ACE 05 WB-weekday 08:23 AM
ACE 07 WB-weekday 08:48 AM
CC 528 EB-weekday 09:29 AM
CC 527 WB-weekday 09:36 AM
CC 728 EB-weekend 10:14 AM
CC 727 WB-weekend 10:16 AM
CC 532 EB-weekday 12:44 PM
CC 535 WB-weekday 12:46 PM
CC 734 EB-weekend 01:14 PM
CC 733 WB-weekend 01:16 PM
CC 736 EB-weekend 02:44 PM
CC 537 WB-weekday 02:46 PM
CC 737 WB-weekend 02:46 PM
CC 538 EB-weekday 03:44 PM
ACE 04 EB-weekday 03:59 PM
CC 542 EB-weekday 04:44 PM
CC 742 EB-weekend 04:49 PM
CC 741 WB-weekend 04:51 PM
ACE 06 EB-weekday 04:59 PM
ACE 08 EB-weekday 05:59 PM
CC 544 EB-weekday 06:14 PM
CC 744 EB-weekend 06:14 PM
CC 543 WB-weekday 06:17 PM
CC 743 WB-weekend 06:17 PM
ACE 10 EB-weekday 07:02 PM
CC 546 EB-weekday 07:39 PM
CC 748 EB-weekend 08:14 PM
CC 747 WB-weekend 08:16 PM
CC 547 WB-weekday 08:24 PM
CC 549 WB-weekday 11:30 PM Estimate – arrives in San Jose 11:55 pm
CC 749 WB-weekend 11:30 PM Estimate – arrives in San Jose 11:55 pm