today's SF geohash

Anthony Argyriou

May 14, 2013, 10:43:29 AM5/14/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com
is in the parking lot of the Daly City Bart station. I'm going to try to get this one, probably after 6pm.

Anthony

Anne Ogborn

May 24, 2013, 4:55:07 PM5/24/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com

Are we wimps or what?

Mouseover day is tomorrow, and we haven't been planning and prepping for weeks.

Well, at the very least, lets do the hash.

Tomorrow's hash is out by Tracy.  I'm willing to drive my RV out there if we don't have another
solution.

Who all's in on this?

Ted Oliverio

May 24, 2013, 6:26:04 PM5/24/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com
All in all, not great pickin's, though Sunday's SJ spot is very-very near my house. Like "I can see it from my mailbox" close.

Mouseover day: http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Geohashing_Day

~User:Ted

Friday:
SJ: Difficult to reach hills S of Kennedy Rd., Los Gatos
SF: water
SC: water
Sac: Farm/ranch/open-space just off Branscome Rd., S of Travis AFB
SR: Water: protected cove of Tomales Bay (pirate-hash achievement!)

Saturday:
SJ: Hills off of 580 near Tracy
SF: water (about a mile out off Ocean Beach) (swimming/pirate achievement!)
SC: water
Sac: Access road between 2 farm fields off 99, N of Sac
SR: Just off Butts Canyon Rd., near Detert Res. (wooded farmland)

Sunday:
SJ: Wow. About 1/4 mile from my house, near the Redwood Lodge! (Santa Cruz County, off 17.) I do believe I'll walk the dogs down there! :) I may even take George to celebrate, too. :)
SF: water
SC: water
Sac: Farm/Rice/open/preserve? Just off some Canal, just off Grizzly Island Rd., delta area N of Honker bay, E of Grizzly Bay
SR: Near Abbotts Lagoon, Point Reyes

--
"We are on the verge of unzipping the secrets of creation and peering into
the pants of God Himself."

Anne Ogborn

May 24, 2013, 6:54:44 PM5/24/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com
We could officially declare that mouseover day is sunday this year for the SJ graticule.
I'd come down and help walk the dogs.

Mouseover day: http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Geohashing_Day

~User:Ted

Ted Oliverio

May 24, 2013, 7:03:05 PM5/24/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com

On May 24, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Anne Ogborn wrote:
> We could officially declare that mouseover day is sunday this year for the SJ graticule.
> I'd come down and help walk the dogs.

Well, Mouseover Day (Observed) is Saturday (Actual was last Tuesday), but there's no reason we can't celebrate on Sunday. (Same as how not everyone has their Memorial BBQs on Monday! :)

See the confluence of Laurel Rd., Schulties Rd & Redwood Lodge Rd., just E of the spot? That's a decent place to meet (also a fair bit of parking and a nice walk to the spot.)

NOTE: by "nice walk", I mean you go down a steep-ish hill then part way back up. I'm by no means a fast-mover but, if you heave health issues, you might want to meet us closer to The Spot.

But if folks wanted to pick a time (3:30pm ish?) to meet at the intersection described above ("at the mailboxes") and walk down with our pups, that'd be great. Basically, that's what I'll be doing, anyway, so as many of you as want to can join us. :)
--
IRL is just a mod for The Sims...
<http://www.little-gamers.com>

Anne Ogborn

May 24, 2013, 7:42:14 PM5/24/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com
I'll be driving a small RV, about the size of a medium Uhaul truck.
http://www.pathwayslms.com/rv/exterior.jpg

Let me know if it's unreasonable for me to get in there.

My phone number is 510 938 9168.

I'll be at the intersection at 3:30

Anybody else in? If so, I can give a ride from end of public transport.

Ted - please add your user name to the expedition page so all the wiki magic happens for ya.

http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/2013-05-26_37_-121

Ted Oliverio

May 24, 2013, 8:21:08 PM5/24/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com

On May 24, 2013, at 4:42 PM, Anne Ogborn wrote:
> I'll be driving a small RV, about the size of a medium Uhaul truck.
> http://www.pathwayslms.com/rv/exterior.jpg
> Let me know if it's unreasonable for me to get in there.

Piece of cake.

The road is old-rural "county maintained" (ha!), but quite passable. If you're new to the area, count on 15 minutes once you leave the highway. (We do it in about half that, but we drive like wild maniacs up here.)

Oh, and watch out for locals driving like wild maniacs! Everyone who lives here knows all the bends and drives as if there's never anyone else on the road! :) It's not a bad idea to use your high-beams, even during daylight. (Light reflected on trees gives warning around blind curves.

Also: IMPORTANT NOTE: I said that the 3-way intersection was E, but it's WEST of the spot (wiki updated.) Sorry about that. "Left" on Google map. :)

> Ted - please add your user name to the expedition page so all the wiki magic happens for ya.
> http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/2013-05-26_37_-121

Done, along with some minor edits/notes.

--
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -- Charles Babbage

Anne Ogborn

May 24, 2013, 9:39:07 PM5/24/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com
On the wiki page you note that we might get a water hash.

If it's really possible that it's in the creek, to get water hash we have to be supported by the water.
Should we think about some minimal equipment to deal with that?  pool toy and a length of rope?

May 25, 2013, 10:46:38 PM5/25/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com

On May 24, 2013, at 6:39 PM, Anne Ogborn wrote:
> On the wiki page you note that we might get a water hash.

I'm not sure. There's a creek near there, but I can't quite tell if the spot is in or next-to the creek.

> If it's really possible that it's in the creek, to get water hash we have to be supported by the water.
> Should we think about some minimal equipment to deal with that? pool toy and a length of rope?

Well... Ive not been to this exact spot on the creek before, but I've been 100 yds upstream and 100 yds downstream and, in both places, nothing within vis-distance is deep-up-to-your-knees. It's largely "not to the top of your sneakers, with a few parts that might get your shins wet.

So it might be difficult to become actually, factually, afloat, though I think that around-the-waist rubber ducks and the like would make for excellent photos. :)

--
Just say "NO" to one-word solutions to real world problems.

Anne Ogborn

May 26, 2013, 12:07:46 AM5/26/13
to sfsj-g...@googlegroups.com

>So it might be difficult to become actually, factually, afloat, though I think that around-the-waist rubber ducks and the like would make for excellent photos.  :)

There's a dollar store near me. I'll check in and see if they have such before I head over.

User:Ted

May 26, 2013, 6:57:45 PM5/26/13
to San Francisco and San Jose Geohashers

On May 25, 9:07 pm, Anne Ogborn <annie6...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >So it might be difficult to become actually, factually, afloat, though I think that around-the-waist rubber ducks and the like would make for excellent photos.  :)
>
> There's a dollar store near me. I'll check in and see if they have such before I head over.

Tried calling at 3:55 (we've been at intersection since 3:30). Going
to wait a few more minutes, then walk on down. It's a nice walk, if
you get here late, join Us!!!